Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Stick and Cane Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
ten99j4

Default Woodburning on Walking Sticks

I was trying to figure out which area to post this on, Stick and Cane Carving or Woodburning. It is primarily a question about woodburing walking sticks, so here we are.

Does anyone have any examples of how you have incorporated woodburning into you walking sticks and canes? I have a very basic woodburing kit and have used it to burn in initials and not much more. I am interested in getting some ideas of how walking sticks would look if I used some woodburning on them along with my carvings.

I will definitely have to practice on a lot of scrap before I will feel comfortable touching the hot iron to my sticks. Just looking for a place to start and some ideas to get my brain moving in the right direction.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Old Bat with a knife

Default Re: Woodburning on Walking Sticks

Hi, If you go to my gallery , the Colorado critters walking stick and most of my other carvings have been wood burned to enhance them. I started with a very basic wood burning kit and then bought a great kit at a show. It is worth every dime. the selection of tips and temperature control is great. You have the right idea about experamenting on scraps. There are great books on burning to teach how to shade and well worth looking into. Hope this helps.
Phyllis
Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Hi Adam, I am like Phyllis, I do wood burning on all my sticks in fact I burn on all my carvings,as she said it enhances the carving. Merle
Old 10-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Here's some of mine. I have to I was more pleased with my results after I bought a better woodburner (Colwood Detailer) that what I was able to do with a fixed temp model from Hobby Lobby.
Picasa Web Albums - Mike Pounders - SOLD ----Hick...#

Picasa Web Albums - Mike Pounders - Crooked cane ...#

Picasa Web Albums - Mike Pounders - Simple Cane d...#

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 PM
ten99j4

Mike P.

I really like those walking sticks and that is exactly the type of examples I was looking for. I have an idea to make a stick with oak leaves, acorns, and maybe a squirrel. The picture that I have in my mind is like what you might see on Tandy Leather wallet kit that is stamped with a leaf and acorn design and has a really neat textures picture with varying degrees of darkness.

I have some preliminary sketches drawn out on a stick and was going to attempt to carve the area around the design like a relief carving and then maybe do some more carving inside the designs to give it more depth. I was hoping to incorporate burning at some point to enhance the carving.