Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Stick and Cane Carving
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
EAT-SWEEP-CARVE

Default Stick and Cane Rack?

Being in a Walking Stick mood these past few weeks I have amassed 10 new sticks for the spring. Along with some inventory I'll have some twenty or so for an upcomming show. My problem is I have no tested stand or holding device to display them. I'm wondering, how do those of you who show their pieces do it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp2 418.jpg (39.5 KB, 47 views)

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co.../14378/cat/500

Last edited by Pracuss; 02-05-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Stick and Cane Rack?

I have made several stick boxes out of scrap plywood. The size is up to you. Mine are about 12-14 inches square with dividers in them to separate the inside into 4 sections. and with a bolted on leg on two sides parallel to the floor for stability. If you leave the inside of the box open and do not divide it the sticks will splay out like the top of a treel. Make it high enough to support the sticks but not to cover them. Go to some of the stickmaking sites and look at their containers. The style of the rack is a personal preference for each person.

Marvin Little
Pell City, Alabama
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM

I have a unique setup for my canes and walkingsticks.......they all stand in a corner of my den LOL
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ron T

I use an umbrella stand my wife picked up for me. I've got it right inside the fron door so I can grab my cane on the way out. I've got some of my other sticks in it for display.

http://stickcarving.webs.com/

My Gallery photos.
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...0/ppuser/11336
Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Marci MN

I've got three idea's for you.

1. In the hardware stores there are those garden rake/hoe holders. The one I purchased was for sitting in the corner of a room. Stands about three feet high with holes in the top part for you to put your stick down into..like a rake or hoe handle with the business end upwards.

2. A clothesline like type rope with knots every 10 inches and a large paper clip or those old shower curtian holders in each knot. You would hang your stick from those by the leather strap you have on your sticks. If you have a tent outside for your sale you can tie this rope from end to end of your tent. Do have a support half way across for your rope since those sticks can get heavy. This way folks can be on either side of this line of sticks to view them.

3. A thick log cut in half and lain on its side, cut side down, and 2 inch diameter holes drilled down into that log for your sticks to set down into. You may need some cross bars at the end of log to keep it from rolling. This idea works well with shorter kids walking sticks or story sticks on a table.

A fourth idea.. would be to use maybe a foot wide strip of peg board and the U shaped pegs inserted to hang your sticks on a wall. You could paint the pegboard to fit your decor or paint it full of leaves to make it look more woodsy.

This gals site has more ideas on how she displays her sticks.

Home Page

I hope these ideas helped you out some.

Marcia
Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 PM

If you plan on doing a lot of shows as you go on it would be to your advantage to take the time to build something nice. I have a rather elaborate set of A-frames and straight racks for both horizontal as well as vertical display. I'm on vacation now and do not have access to pictures to show you. If you are interested, let me know and I will send you pictures when I get home. A simple but attractive display is the umbrella stand that Ron suggested. A similar display that I use occasionally is a tall woven basket, such as a laundary hamper, with a homemade cardboard grid insert to separate the sticks.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM

I have been using a home made affair for a few years now - works great. First, I gathered up a dozen or so cardboard mailing tubes. Then I found a three foot section of what we call "sona tube" which is a heavy cardboard cement form that comes in various diameters. Mine is about 14 inches. I left it three feet high, plugged the bottom with a 3/4" plywood disc, and cut the other end on an angle. Screwed a base on using a 16x16 inch plywood. The mailing tubes fit inside the form tube standing up, providing a method of displaying the canes and sticks in an upright postion. That way, they don't splay out like a tree. A quick blast of paint from a spray can of the color of your choosing and you have an attractive stick display.