Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Stick and Cane Carving
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Walking Stick Craftsman

Default Remove Bark From Potential Walking Sticks

Just curious as to how you guys remove the bark from sticks before you begin to make a walking stick. Sometimes it's a bear to do.

Thanks,
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Remove Bark From Potential Walking Sticks

I know what you mean. I have several that I think I should have removed the bark as should as I got them. Diamond Willow and Cypress. I've tried Vinegar and water which was recommended but it didn't really help that much. Maybe not doing it right. I soaked it pretty good but didn't really help that much. Still have it to do.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 AM

Some sticks need the bark removed right away....like Navajo willow for example, others like mesquite, need to lay out in the sun for 6 months or so.....thats here..all depends on the trees in your area..you need to experiment. Mesquite bark pulls off in big strips when dry...glued on when fresh....willow is the opposite, peels right off when wet...forget it when dry LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Walking Stick Craftsman

I use a pressure washer to remove the bark from the sticks.

Make short work of most types of wood.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 PM

From my understanding it depends on the type of wood and the time of year that it's harvested. The bark on Deciduous trees seems to peal easier in the spring when the cambium layer is real wet . On Conifer's it doesn't seem to make much difference but the sooner that you strip the bark off any tree after cutting it down the easier it will come.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:24 AM

I hear ya!I've been cutting my sticks in the winter and then dip both ends in wax and then store them for six months to a year.I've never had a stick crack on me (I've done about 50 this way)But I got to say removing the bark is a pain in the ***.I think I 'm going to try the spring and remove the bark asap and then dip the ends and kinda paint the whole stick with wax.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:16 AM

I've never had any problem with cracking on Deciduous trees under 2" in diameter. I just strip them and then lay them flat to dry out in my shed. In two months in this Florida heat it's like having kiln dried wood. I've never had a need to coat the ends.

But last month I thought that I was going to bring back a red cedar sapling. I cut it down and completely stripped it. The total length was about 8' with the thick end being around 3-1/2" in diameter. I laid it out on the cabin porch deck and after about a week I checked it. Much to my surprise there was a very large linear 3' long crack all the way down to the heart wood at the thickest end.

I cut the stick in two stopping the crack and figured that was the end of the crack and it was from that point on but then it cracked from points about 1' each from either end. I still have a nice piece of wood. I figure that I'll either fill and stain the crack or just fill it with epoxy after I stain the wood.

The large piece that I cut off was a total loss as once I cut it it curled up like a curly-q and cracked in two or three more locations. It will end up as camp fire fodder for my Grand daughter marshmellow raost next year.

I'd never had that happen on a stick before. But then again I'm use to working with Poplar, Sweetgum, Elm, Sycamore and Maple.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:59 PM

I use a hawkbill knife to debark most of my dry sticks.

ToolPro Tools For Professionals

Single Blade Pocket Knives: Schrade Tradesman Hawkbill Pocket Knife - Clam Pack [Model TM1CP]
Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 PM

I've read several posts on the topic of removing bark from sticks and don't understand how you can use a pressure washer to remove the bark without tearing up the wood underneath. I have a good many "curly" sticks that I (ignorantly) harvested in Jan, then dried. Now I want to remove the bark and it's all but impossible. My pressure washer will remove some of the bark, but it also shreds the wood beneath the bark.
So what's the secret to successfully using a pressure washer for this?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Walking Stick Craftsman

I use a pressure washer with about 4,000 psi.

The key to removing the bark without damaging the sticks is the nozzle attachment on the end of the wond.

The attiachment I use is normally used to strip paint off wood decks.

I purchased the attachment at Lowes Precise Fit Turbo Nozzle 3,000 psi.

Here's the link Shop PreciseFit 3000 PSI Turbo Nozzle at Lowes.com