Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Stick and Cane Carving
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Question Inlay of stone in hiking stick

I am getting ready to add some turqouise to a hiking stick. I understand most use CA when adding the stone, but what I am unsure of is the sanding it smooth part. Weill this scratch the surface of the CA making it not as clear? I am assuming you add the CA, add the stone, then add CA on top, then sand smooth with the surface. A fine grit would be my guess?

Any advice would help.
Thank you
Steve
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Inlay of stone in hiking stick

I have only used glass as adornments on some of my sticks, as in a jewel on top of the stick.

What has been successful for me is to carve out a well, then grind the base of the stone to scratch the surface, apply 2 part epoxy to the bottom of the well and press the stone in.

If you don't scratch the back of the stone to give the epoxy a gripping surface it won't hold for long.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:43 PM

TreeWizard has a very good method. I say that because I do that, too!
Tuesday, a piece of Bornite (iridescent purple copper ore) goes into the eye of a Humpback Whale.
I might add that you need to be very selective about the stone as far as cracks/flaws are concerned.

I'm on the road. Back home, I have a pot of some sort of exterior wood filler, turns out to be a very good adhesive for stuff like solid copper inlay and abalone shell inlay. Better yet, dried, the same color as a lot of my western red cedar.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
chipchaptom

Steve, I do your method with crushed turquoise. I wouldn't try it with a solid stone though. Go for the epoxy.

Tom
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM

I have that 5 minute epoxy, would that be ok to use? Can you sand epoxy like you can CA? Or will it scratch it up or still give a clear shiny appearance?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 AM

Seems like you want to cover top and bottom? Don't know why you would want to do that, if you need a filler or want to encase it is something, would not use glue for that. If you need a filler around the stone, use wood filler. Just epoxy the stone in, should hold better than super glue.
Jim b
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 AM

Steve, a lot of the 5 minute epoxies have a yellow appearance that would affect the appearance of the inset. Look for one that has a clear liquid for both parts. You also need one that lists wood as one of the materials that it sticks to.
You should be able to polish the epoxy but I would try it before using it on a favored stick.

Marvin
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 AM

Hi Steve,

I'm a little unsure of what you want to do too. It sounds as though you are considering ENCASING your stone. You really need to use a clear epoxy resin for that. Cut a hole for your stone in the stick, usually larger and deeper than the stone itself. Put some resin in the bottom of the hole, followed by the stone, and then more resin to fill the hole and cover the stone. Then let it completely cure. After it has cured,polish the resin till its perfectly clear and you can see your stone through it. I know guys who do this regularly with fishing flys and old coins in the handles of walking sticks.

Or do you mean SETTING your stone in the stick? Polish your stone on the top side and rough it up on the bottom side so the glue will have something to hold onto. Cut a hole the shape of your stone in your stick, glue the stone in using a strong glue (two pack epoxy is probably best). Job done.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, it seems i was unclear when asking my question.

My plans are to add some Turquoise to a walking stick, just below a knot in the stick there is an area that is about 3/8" wide and about 5 inches long tapering toward the bottom of the stick. It is about 1/4" deep. What I would like to do is use some crushed Turquoise and small Turquoise stones to fill the crevace. The reason i thought encasing it would be a good idea is the stick is not really round in all areas, so if i just add the stone it will not be smooth to the surface. I ant you to be able to run your hand over the area i add the stone and it feel just like part of the stick, same contours, etc..

Hope this explains it better, I want the outcome to be similar to a turned bowl with the stones inlaid.

Steve
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Steve, I have used crushed turquoise and also have a friend who uses it in the cracks on turned bowls. Use a clear epoxy and pour some in the crack or indentation, sprinkly in a little turquoise and then more epoxy on top. Pour slowly so that bubbles do not develope. If you get a bubble you can pull it out with a pin or needle.

Marvin