Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Unhappy Eagle

I didn't use a chainsaw much on this carving and it was a bit of a stretch - from my head on yellow cedar and painted - red cedar burl base. Any comments or criticism appeciated.

Last edited by schizoidlogger; 02-24-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski
Default Re: Unhappy Eagle

Hi Merv, You have portrayed the feelings greatly! I used to be against adding any colour to wood but if it is a compliment or satisfies the eye then it can be great also. You have done a very good job on all aspects. Are his front legs crossed also & how big is it?
Thanks, Robbin
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Robbin,
I agree about the colour thing. With yellow cedar not having much grain it looked kind of dead so I decided to try a combo of stain and paint and woman's nail polish to liven up the eyes a bit. Yes his legs are crossed to make him look more unhappy with the limb that he is on. It's only about 13 inches tall (made from a scrap from another carving). I roughed him out with a chain saw 'cause I don't have a band saw. Ha! I probably should have put it in the bird carving section but I thought that it might tie in with the conversation we were having about right brain etc.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Merv,
Definatly right brain thinking love him I agree with Robbin I never paint my carvings but when a carving is painted this way certainly adds to the carving. I dont think he would be as appealing if you left him natural. Not that it would take away from the carving but people that see these eagles associate them as having the white head. Although they dont develop that white head until their fourth year. Did you know they got their name for the old english word for white (Bald) thats why some people call them Bald headed eagles. Fabulous carving absolutly love it.
Colin
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Thanks Colin,
He's indeed a strange bird. I knew that only mature eagles had white heads but not that it took four years to develop. It kind of reminds me of one of the crows that was making a pest of himself at the dryland sort (log sorting area). He was getting into people's lunch buckets and was very bold. One of the workers got the bright idea of painting him florescent orange (from a spray can of log marking paint). He took off like a bat but it was too late - he now glowed in the dark and he was run off by the other birds. About two weeks later he reappeared with most of the paint gone and rest faded - accepted again. I felt the same way at first towards painting that carving but I've since grown to accept him.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM
The Woodcollector

Funny, it makes you wonder what happend to him. Did he lost his pray or hurt his talons? :P
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Hi W.duBois,
Maybe another bird beat him to a fish. All I know is that he came out squealing and he hasn't stopped since. Ha!
Btw - as previously mentioned by Robbin, I also like the bleached bone effect of your carving. Looks like some of the old whale bones from around here. Did you do anything to finish it that way or is it the natural patina? The dragon looks like he should take an anger management course.

Last edited by schizoidlogger; 03-06-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM

He looks good to me.

Dave
Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks Dave,
Maybe he needs a week in Florida to cheer him up.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Great job!