Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Default Sprocket Question

Folks, I have a question that I can't seem to answer, or get answered. So I finally decided to come to the experts...

I've been playing around with the chainsaw on some stumps in the yard and having a great time with it. So much that I decided to "improve" my tools a little and hopefully try and take the carvings up a level. I've got a little Stihl ms 192 t, it's a great little saw and I'd like to put a carving bar on it. I went to the local Stihl dealer to get a 1/4" sproket for it and they said they didn't have one but would try and order one if they make it... I haven't heard back from them.

So I get online and try to see if I can find one myself and apparently I'm not up the you chain carvers lingo enough to figure out if anyone offers it or not...

Is there anyone in here that knows if I can do this or am I SOL for this saw??

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Sprocket Question

Hi Steve,

I don't have a 192 t but according to this site you should be able to set it up with a 1/4 inch carving bar as per:

MS 192 T

Hope this helps.

Merv
Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 AM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Steve, You can get a 1/4 pitch sprocket for these from Jamie Dorean also @ Chainsawsculpture.com
Best to call or e-mail him but I know he shold be able to help you out no problem! I am sure Stihl does carry the sprocket also but most dealers aren't familiar with anything to do with carving even the natioanl sales offices aren't???
Thanks, Robbin
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks Merv and Robbin... I just sent and email through Chainsawsculpture.com.

Steve
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
dick tilley

Smile Re: Sprocket Question

Hi Steve

Theres a few tree surgeons here in the UK putting carving bars on their pruning saws, a lot safer than a standard bar.

If you order a quarter tip you should be able to fit 3/8 low profile chain which will be the same as what you use now but different chain length, you could then swap bars when ever you want.

A quarter tip is just a little bigger than a dime bar, Jamie will sort ya out.

Safe carvin'

dick