Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Default My Ridgway carving

I finished up my carving today, the newspaper said it was a large rabbit while I was roughing it out, even though at that time it had wings, I thought that was pretty funny I have a copy of the paper to keep.

I had a great time and it is not over yet, tommorow is the auction I hope it goes well.

Heres the bunny

Last edited by brianh; 02-27-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 PM
One of the OLD GUYS

Default Re: My Ridgway carving

Hi Brian,
Awesome dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It did resemble a rabbit at a quick glance, but it sure doesn't now.
I need bigger wood, because I want to carve a dragon of some kind.
I hope you enjoyed Ridgeway,I was there a couple of years ago and am still in awe of the other carvers and their easy sharing manner.

thanks for posting,

Bob
Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Hi Brian,
Nice job - looks like the Easter Bunny's evil twin.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 AM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Brian, Sure looks like a lot of scales to do on there must have spent a couple of days just doing that? Looking good there fella! I left the last two years before the auction as I found that the let down after a week of mezmerizing carving & learning, with the low prices that they are giving the carvings away for.
Thanks, Robbin
Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 AM

Oh thats just too funny. Thats the folks from Ridgway I know and love.....can you say...'you might be a redneck if....' rabbits could fly! C'mon...you were thinking it too.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 AM

Brian, that's an amazing carving, to finish that in a few days is in itself a marvel, considering the work on the scales and all the detail, excellent work. You must be exhausted.
Cliff
Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Brian,
You are to be commended for your art. Working for "scale" takes on a whole new meaning.
Robbin,
I notice from the photos that the prices seemed awful low. What's up with that? Chain saw carving is hard work, expensive and largely unappreciated. We should not devalue our work - but hey that's just me. I guess when you're trying to promote an art form there is a learning curve for the public to accept it but few appreciate the skill involved and many still consider it "folk art."
Old 02-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Thats an awesome Dragon. One day I hope to carve one that size.
Thanks for posting the pics.
Jay
Old 03-01-2009, 05:58 AM

I have to comment on this. I agree in that, as far as Ridgway goes, we are a lumbering town so I guess to them its just another piece of wood. I also agree because I noticed that although there was a huge turnout for the auction itself, very few of those people that came to bid actually turned out during the week to watch the carvers actually do the work! They just see the finished product. I would hope after ten years the 'public' of Ridgway would be more appreciative,,,,but as I said earlier, us rednecks dont think that way. Personnally, I too came from a lumbering family, but I certainly do appreciate the talent put into it. On a side note, I ended up buying a nice owl for a carver from Japan named Naito "Knight" Wataur. Fine piece of work, as were all of them. Im so glad I went again this year. Yes, some of the prices were low; I, like others, had a set budget in mind, but If I could have, I would have bought more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizoidlogger View Post
Brian,
You are to be commended for your art. Working for "scale" takes on a whole new meaning.
Robbin,
I notice from the photos that the prices seemed awful low. What's up with that? Chain saw carving is hard work, expensive and largely unappreciated. We should not devalue our work - but hey that's just me. I guess when you're trying to promote an art form there is a learning curve for the public to accept it but few appreciate the skill involved and many still consider it "folk art."
Old 03-01-2009, 06:43 AM
A passion for carving

Great job on the scales. Hard to believe you get all that dragon compacted into a piece of log. You should have gone with the Rabbit idea...just make him really scarey - maybe next year.
Patrick