Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Default help me out here-Robbin? Anybody?

does anybody remember the post where Robbin talked about a good way to debark a log with the chainsaw that helped prevent dulling? I've searched but cant find it.I've got a nasty fir butt to debark and i'd like to save my chains as much as possible. Thanks, Pete.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: help me out here-Robbin? Anybody?

Pete,
I dont remember the post but Robbin showed me how to do it. I will try to explain it the best I can. When you make your first cut dont cut all the way through to the other side of the bark. Try to stop a few inches short. Then go to the other side and meet the cut you just did. Now you have the first slab off of the log. The trick is to always pull clean wood into the cut. Now you can around and take off the slabs all the way around the log. When he showed me he told me to feel the saw cut we did it both ways when I cut all the way through and draged bark and dirt into the cut you could feel the saw dull immediatly. The other way by only by only pulling clean wood into the cut the saw did not dull hardly at all. That is the best I can explain it if Robbin comes on he may be able to explain it better than I can.
Colin
Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks a lot, Colin, that makes perfect sense. This big fir has thick bark with deep furrows, could be a lot of junk in there.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 AM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Pete, Colin has expained this very well & I think it sounds like you understand this also. The thing I teach is to try to always remember the rule of thumb "always pull clean wood into the cut" When I do the first cut you can go almost all the way through so that you just see tiny bits of sawdust blowng out between the curfs or grooves in the bark as long as you don't go right through. Also try to cut in the cambiam layer as this is pretty well always the softest to cut through on end grain. Once you have that first piece off I just work backwards around the log either way & as long as ya haven't hit any dirty or hidden stuff, the saw will cut like crazy right to the end. I spent many a time cursing until I seen this a couple of years ago from another carver! I know a few carvers also & have done this other method & I have done it myself as long as you now the subject matter, is too do your cuts always from the ouside of the log cutting from inside to outside & as long as you follow this method it isn't really necessary to remove the bark but you must be sure of your cuts. All the cuts must be into the log deep enough to overlap when cutting from the other profile!
Hope this helps ya out Pete!
Thanks, Robbin

Last edited by Rwenzoski; 03-01-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling & adding
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 AM

thanks Robbin