Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:53 PM

Default gas to oil ratio question

Just got my Redmax G3200EZ today thanks to Robbin Wenzoski & Jamie Doeren. Very excited to get hacking. I'm reading the entire manual and looking at as many threads as I can here to find tips before I get started. I figured I would post the question here because I haven't found it elsewhere and it may help others.

I was wondering about the gas/oil ratio. The manual calls for a typical 50:1. I noticed on Robbin Wenzoski's website in "tutorials" (very informative by the way) that he uses a 100:1 mix. Robbin, if you are out there... is that a full synthetic oil? It appears many chainsaw dealers are now leaning toward full-synthetic. The 100:1 has me a bit puzzled. I get the high octane tip. It makes perfect sense. I will also be using canola oil for the chain... great tip.
Thanks
Lundy

Last edited by TimberFace; 03-20-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:45 PM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski
Default Re: "gas to oil" ratio question

Hi Lundy! Great tio hear ya got yor Redmax! What I buy for mix is full synthetic premium smokeless which is Lazer brand oil here. I used to buy it at Home Depot for about $5.99 a bottle & now get it at Lazer right here in London, Ontario for quite a bit cheaper & the Echo blend is similar but not the same ratio. THe nice thing about either is one squeeze of measurment supplies the correct ratio for a gallon or 4 litres of gas. The measuring compartment is on the top of the bottle & as you squeeze the bottle (with the top off) the oil is pushed up to the top measuring compartment until it is full to the line (3.2 fl oz) & then this is perfect for a one gallon mix! This way you don't have to worry about calculating anything, done for you!
Hope this helps, Thanks Robbin

Last edited by Rwenzoski; 03-20-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Thanks Robbin. I haven't seen any smokeless around here, just "low smoke". I'll see what I can find locally. I may have to settle for that.
You are extremely generous with your time, sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with all of us.
Thanks again, Lundy
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 AM
dick tilley

Wink Re: "gas to oil" ratio question

Chainsaw carvin is a gas!

Just took a peek at your website Lundy, you create some neat stuff!

Your as much a character as your wood spirits, you make Rube's moustach look positively tiny!

Have fun with ya max!

dick
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Hey Lundy,

Nice work. Sometimes I feel like an overweight version of the "Elf gone bad".

BTW - Most if not all of the timber falling outfits (use a saw hard every day) use the 100:1 synthetic oil for peak performance.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Lundy,
Unitil I met Robbin I used 50-1 ratio and only standard chain oil. Since hanging around with Robbin I now use 100-1 Smokless the same as he uses and nothing but Canola oil in all of my saws. Never had a problem and find that they run really smooth. Its always nice to have a second opinon I also use as one of my many saws the same Redmax you purchased without any problems.
Thanks
Colin
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks guys.
Looks like I'll have to order the synth 100:1 smokeless on-line. I didn't want to wait but no one sells it around here. The only one I have found so far (even on-line) is a product called Saber Professional by AMSOIL. I guess I'll have to wait even longer to start slinging chips.
Dick, the trick to the bushy mustache... soak in beer as often as possible.
Thanks again, Lundy
Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Hey Lundy just had a look at your site ,those are fantastic carvings well done

http://picasaweb.google.com/al.hillis/WOODCARVINGSMINE

Its better to take two steps forward and one step back then never having danced at all
Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 AM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Lundy, I would recommend just ordering the Amsoil as I have heard nothing but good about it from a lot of carvers in the US using it also. You may only find the Lazer products available here in Canada & I was going t offer to send you a case from here but I think they would give us a hard time shipping anything like this across the border anyways. I tried googling the Lazer oil & can't even find much info on it so you should be fine using the Amsoil just make sure ya measure correctly every time!
Thanks, Robbin
Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the offer Robbin. I think you're right about the shipping problems. I went ahead and ordered a couple quarts of the AMSOIL 100:1. If it is as good as everybody says, I'll order more and put it in all of my 2 cycle machines.