Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 AM
The Woodcollector

Default Finished Carving of a Dragon's Head

Hi all, this is my first posting of one of my latest chainsaw carving (#4 of 5) projects. I have used chainsaws for about 50%, the rest was done using a Dremel and several other power tools. I could have done more with the chainsaw but at that time I didn't had my own Stihl MS200 with carving bar.

Picture:

I also take great pleasure in making videos of the carving process, just like the carvers on Youtube that inspired me in the first place.

Video:
YouTube - Chainsaw Carving #4 - Dragon's Head

On my Youtube website (above signature pic) you will find videos of earlyer projects, but I find those hardly worth posting since they are my first chainsaw carving 'try-out's'. This one YouTube - Chainsaw Carving #3 - Fish Eagle is barely acceptable but the rest, please don't look at them, I beg you.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Finished Carving of a Dragon's Head

Hi W.Dubois,
Nice work. What kind of wood is it. I watched your youtube submission with interest - judging from the sawdust your saw could use a sharpening. Good control with such a big saw though. (grin)
Old 03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
The Woodcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizoidlogger View Post
Hi W.Dubois,
Nice work. What kind of wood is it. I watched your youtube submission with interest - judging from the sawdust your saw could use a sharpening. Good control with such a big saw though. (grin)
It's a piece of Delonix Regia, a soft tropical kind of wood. I got it when such a tree needed to be removed in a big greenhouse. The shape of the log already had something that reminded me of a dragon, that's why I chose it.

And you have sharp eye, yes the chain wasn't all that sharp. I to noticed that while I making the first cut, but the camera was already rolling so I continued.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Walter, That is an amazing job on the Dragon, took a bit of time doing the detailing on there also. It is nice that the wood has a very light tone to it & seems to really add to the "bone reality" for lack of better words or just what popped in there? I am watching your video, very slowly, dial up you know!
Thanks, Robbin
Old 03-06-2009, 09:11 PM

First, I really like the work. Not much into dragons myself, but I think this one's really cool. Great teeth, believable anatomy. Merv, a very important comment... Now I see it, the relationship between chain sharpness and sawdust size. What an insight! And I see the force with which the saw exited the work. I know something important from that.

W. I want to make a video myself, and yours is vey well done. Can you provide tips on setting up, filming, editing...and putting it on YouTube? I'd appreciate it! And would return the favor with whatever I can.
Schaef
Old 03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
The Woodcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef View Post

W. I want to make a video myself, and yours is vey well done. Can you provide tips on setting up, filming, editing...and putting it on YouTube? I'd appreciate it! And would return the favor with whatever I can.
Schaef
Thank you Schaef. And sure no prob, I will send you a PM with instructions as soon as possible. Good that you are also planning to make videos, I think more ppl should try that.

Last edited by W.duBois; 03-07-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Walter, Hey, I have a few videos uploaded to Youtube also under "RobbinW" but I am new at this & if you are willing to share any help I would love to also?
Thanks, Robbin
Old 03-07-2009, 04:25 PM

W.dubois,
Please explain what you did to get you're dragon picture on the Thread. I like the bigger size to help view detail.

The detail is really good.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
The Woodcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwenzoski View Post
Hi Walter, Hey, I have a few videos uploaded to Youtube also under "RobbinW" but I am new at this & if you are willing to share any help I would love to also?
Thanks, Robbin
I just subscribed to your videos. What in particulair do you want to know? I see that you allready uploaded some videos of your own. Or do you mean making videos where you can be seen carving like I did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsailer View Post
W.dubois,
Please explain what you did to get you're dragon picture on the Thread. I like the bigger size to help view detail.
I upload my photo's to Photobucket. Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (creating an account is free) You can post clickabe thumbnails or like I did full size photo's.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM

That's a cool looking dragon, nice work.

Dave