Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Chainsaw Carving
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Default Carving vise plans

After getting a lot of interest at Ridgway from carvers that saw my ball vise in use I decided to make up plans for it.

Basic welding skills and metal cutting are necessary for making it according to the plans.

I have been using mine for two years I usually have it mounted to a hydraulic lift table making my work always at a comfortable height, being able to turn and tilt a carving really helps my back out over time.

The prototype I made is slightly different than the plans, when I made the prototype I cut the top pieces too short.

It has been a while since I have made drawings for others to read so feel free to contact me with any questions.

If there is some interest in purchasing I will make up some for 325.00

When I have time I will put a better video up of it working on my hydraulic table.

The video I made was right after it was built and the bench it is on is wobbly.

Here is the link to the plans
Ball Vise Plans pictures by brianharnett - Photobucket

Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM
dick tilley

Default Re: Carving vise plans

Thanks for the info Brian, a most excellent aid to a poor wood carvers arsenal.
I suppose you could fit a piece of ply board to the base to prevent catching the metal work.

dick
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM

Wink Re: Carving vise plans

Hi Brian

That's an excellent gaget. If I lived over there I would definitely get you to make me one. :-)

Now Dick...if we could find a couple of bowling balls ....hmmm....I'll scout around the car boot sales :-)

Carrie
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
The Rube

Send a message via MSN to Rwenzoski

Hi Brian, you have done a good job on that unit & the plans! I think Dick has great idea to add to it there also as I have the Triton & this is what I have planned for a while to make wood covers for the log jaws as they aure kill a chian in a hurry especially with a new student or carver. Just curious where do you get the balls, I assume a bowling alley? Carrie havne't heard that for a while! "Boot sale"
Thanks, Robbin
Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM

Robbin, the last ball I got from my neighbor.
A basic no frills ball is around 40.00

Asking at a bowling ally is a good idea, they may have used or slightly damaged balls cheap.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
jamesd

Neat idea with that bowling ball!

My question though, what did you do to the bowling ball to get that thing screw in there?

I don't think bowling balls weld last time I checked! You seem to have done something somewhat that caused the edges of the ball to push up beyond the radius of the ball around where you put in the screw or whatever it is.

And whats that squishy black thing mounted under that horizontal c channel on top? I'm assuming its to maintain kind of a spring action on the ball.

Oh yes one more thing, how long do you think a person could take to make this if the do it in an intellegent manner? I have blacksmithed before, know how to weld, bend metal and cut metal.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 AM

Hi James thanks for the interest,

The threaded rod is epoxyed into the ball the hole is drilled about 3" deep.

The sqishy black thing is my tension spring, a short stiff coil spring would also work.

To make it if you have all the materials on hand a day should be plenty of time to do a good job on it.