Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 AM

Location: I live in Washington state, in the tri-city area. It is about 5 hr drive to Seattle
Default ultra carver

Hi all! I am thinking about purchasing an ultra carver. And I was wondering if any one here has used one. Simply put it attaches to a vacuum cleaner and it operates at 120,000 rpm and because of the vacuum there is little or no dust. Here is the web site. WWW.ULTRACARVER.COM The price is right, plus there are training videos and other items that can be ordered. Thanks for any input on this item.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: ultra carver

Justanick, it looks pretty interesting. The only things that would bother me is the noise from the vacumm and the hose that is attached. But as you said the price is certainly right if it works as well as advertised. They give a 30 day money back, so it might be worth the try.

On the road that I have taken,
one day, walking, I awaken,
amazed to see where I have come,
where I'm going, where I'm from.---The Book of Counted Sorrows, Dean Koontz
Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM

You are right Nancy! The noise would be awful. But, that said, there may be other sources of the necessary vacuum. I have a down draft sanding table that is powered by an old furnace motor, that is quiet. The engraver come with a universal adaptor to connect to a shop vac or a sweeper.

Maybe this is one of those things that Thomp could work out the engineering on.. Tom H
Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM

When I was a teenager, they used to say you could paint with a vacuum , so I hooked up a spray pot and primered my car....burned up 3 vacuums getting it done LOL...........they are designed for long use.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 PM

Location: I live in Washington state, in the tri-city area. It is about 5 hr drive to Seattle

Thanks for your input.I am sure that I could find a way to avoid the noise of the vacuum, If I put my mind to it. but as soon as I can I will get one and try
it for myself. I will keep you informed.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:30 AM
Forum Mentor

Question Re: ultra carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H
You are right Nancy! The noise would be awful. But, that said, there may be other sources of the necessary vacuum. I have a down draft sanding table that is powered by an old furnace motor, that is quiet. The engraver come with a universal adaptor to connect to a shop vac or a sweeper.

Maybe this is one of those things that Thomp could work out the engineering on.. Tom H
put the vaccume outside through a window, and run pvc through a 1x4 close the window on the 1x4 then on to the table tom. make a housing for vaccume to keep it out the weather but it has to be breathable, let the bad neibors put up with the noise...

it comes to mind the old really loud royal vaccume cleaner old bag type vaccumes, suck hard and could run all day without overheating. check flea markets they still have replacement parts for them old things

but it would supprise me if it lasted a month
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 04-20-2007, 08:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to wade clark

Hi-Ho,
I'll bet your Mom wondered what kept happening to her vacuum!
Wade
Old 04-20-2007, 10:26 AM

Wullllllll she knew I borrowed it, so I was up the waterway without the necessary means of locomotion! lol------ as for that ultra carver, I have never seen it, but from experience with other types, from what I hear, the el cheapos have plastic turbines and don't last long............as with anything, or at least it used to be! "You get what you pay for!"
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 PM

I didn't read all the info on the carver, but is there a speed control a good way to burn up your bits turning that fast, sometime when using power rpms is not the always the answer. Most of my detail work is done around 15 thousand for rubies and maybe 30 thousand for diamonds or somewhere around there depends on the type of wood.
Good luck
Bill
Old 04-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Kringle Addict

regarding putting it through a window and running a hose to it......I used to have a similar setup with my old dust collector. In good weather that works out well, but in extreme temperatures.....you are pumping your comfortable temperatures out and causing the uncomfortable temps to be drawn in from the outside...

I had a unit that used to blow all the dust right out the back. We have no one living behind us so it was never a problem about the dust. Other than when the wind was blowing and I left a window open during nice weather...

But if it was cold out, I was sucking my nice warm studio air right out the dust collector and in no time at all it would be freezing in there. Exact opposite when it was too hot out. So before you go running vaacum hoses outside, consider that. (I learn lots of things the hard way, no reason others can't benefit from my mistakes Smile)
susieq