Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Turbo Carvers?

My Wife bought me a turbo carver and I have been churning out a bunch of small projects and I have gotten requests for some larger pieces.. Rifle stocks and wall hangings, Cabinet doors and more... I love this thing and I was wondering how many here on the forum are high speed carvers?

I have been working on the fish scale and basket weaving patterns from Joe Cummings and I have pretty much got it down... I have been working on integrating it into other patterns.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Nice tool, no handle??

Send a message via Yahoo to mobjack68
Default Re: Turbo Carvers?

I have had a turbo for a couple of years. To date, I have used it mainly for very fine detail work after I get as far as I can with hand tools. Never really considered making a whole project with it.....BUT, I have intentions of trying my hand at cameo carving and I desperately want to cut some fancy holes in some eggshells....It's TurBo Time!!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Well I have done quite a few projects so far and I have to say.... I really like this tool! It spins fast enough to cut hard woods like butter but doesn't have enough torque to cause the tool to jump or jerk if it gets in a bind.

Last edited by Speeronline; 07-18-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Well... I have changed my mind!! These tools are nice out of the box but don't last long. I have gone through 3 hand pieces and have given up... I bought a dental drill off ebay that is working great and gives me more options on my angle of attack. And it was a LOT less expensive -- Uses Less Air - and runs quieter!!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Do you have any idea why your Turbo Carvers gave out so soon and were they covered under the mfg warranty?

eBay lists quite a few different dentist drills. What one did you get that out performs the Turbo Carver?

I am asking these questions because I have just ordered a Turbo Carver.

Thanks,

Ray

Last edited by ray-man; 09-12-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 AM

I think the front bearings went out on mine... I would get a couple of projects done and I would start to hear a faint spalling sound while it was running. Then the hand piece would just stop turning on or would stop running >> If you turned the bur by hand it was gritty feeling which leads me to think it was a bearing.
The guy I ordered my handpiece from was the main distributor in Oregon... This guy is NOT pleasant! When these things go out I am usually in the middle of a project so I know I am a bit irritated and looking for answers >> But I was made to feel like he was doing me a favor by answering the phone... After the third one went out >> I was finished with them!
I ordered the cheapest dental drill off Ebay that was a push button 4 port hand piece... I got a deal >> 3 for $80 and Free shipping! I was concerned that it was a bad call but when they came in I hooked it to the air line and what do you know! It worked! I teed off the line and hooked up the front blower line and went to work...

So after using it about 3 hours... how do I like it?? A LOT! I am able to hold the object I am working on in one position and I am able to change the angle of the carver by just turning it in my hand and still bale to comfortably hold it.. It is quieter and seems to run smoother. This one is a little heavier than the plastic turbo carver and I think that helps keep the burs from jumping or hopping.

The turbo carver is an "OK" hand piece but after comparing it ($300ish) to a Chinese Ebay drop ship special that was under $30 including shipping... I can't say that the turbo carver is a good deal.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 AM

I`m looking into power carving tools and I am leaning twards air tools as I`ve got cmf`s and a good filter/reg./oiler. the only tool of quality I found took friction bits 1/32" and turned 300,000 rpm. looking for something with collets 1/8", 1/16" and speed contol, any sugestions?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM

I have to say that after using a cheap ($30) chinese ebay dental drill for about 10-12 projects >> I really like it!
Here is why.

I have infinite approach angles by just turning the tool instead of only 1 angle and having to contort my hand to get it where I want it... Makes doing lettering very easy!

VERY inexpensive! I bought 3 for $85 on ebay. Why 3? Because they were so cheap and I had so many problems with the ones I spend a bunch on.> I figured that cheap = low quality. Well... I was wrong. I am still on my first hand piece and have a LOT of carving on it... I would only get 3 project on the Turbo Carver and it would crap out.

Blower jets on the front (if you get the 4 hole hand piece) that helps keep the bur area clear of debris and you can see more clearly... This is a big deal! I wasted a lot of time with the other just trying to keep the work area clear.

Lower PSI/CFM demands which means less noise... The turbine spins a little slower but I don't really notice it while working but I do notice that the compressor doesn't run as much.

As for variable speed... I have worked on different types of wood and glass/mirrors and don't see a need in have a speed control. I run full speed all the time and use the sound of the bur on the material to judge how much pressure I need to apply.

Thats just my opinion... Hope it helps.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 PM

Hello, I am on info overload ,trying to decide how to take my gourd carving to the next level(just Dremel right now) While reviewing several,( all pricy) I came across your purchase of dental tool and am VERY intrigued!! Can you be more specific about what you bought? Whole hand piece .....what did you attach it to ( compressor, specs?) ANy info helpful. Thanks! Gloria
Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM

I am new to carving and have been looking at doing power carving. I have talked with members of my carving club and several shops that carry power carving equipment. The Foredom name comes up frequently and in checking their site I noticed that the have a gourd carving kit. The link is Foredom Electric Co. - Flex Shaft Tool Kits and the kit is a the bottom of the page. Hope this helps.

Good luck, I am also finding it's easy to go into info overload LOL.

Gary