Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM

Default micro die grinder

I didn't see anything about anyone using a micro die grinder, but was wondering if anyone here uses, or used one, and your opinion.
I was loaned one last week, and have used it for several days with no problems. It runs about 56,000 rpm at 90 lbs. 2 cfm under load.
I've been expecting him to come back and get it one day while I'm using it, so I bought one. With a 90 day warranty I figure it's worth $25, but the guy that loaned the first one to me said his son likes them enough that he has 8 hooked up so he doesn't have to stop and change bits.
Here is a link to the one I'm referring to.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...der-47869.html
With a 30 gallon compressor I still have to stop occasionally, but I'm not complaining.
Michael
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Re: micro die grinder

I do have some air tools "grinders" but not that one. I do the same thing with more than one tool saves time from changing bits and keeps your hand from getting hot.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:15 AM

I have the same unit you listed and have no problem with it. I don't use it as much as I used to due to aquiring a couple of micro tools.
Larry
Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 PM

I have three of them. They work pretty well but I think they use more than 2 CFM. My compressor delivers 4.5 CFM and it can't keep up under continuous use. I would have to spend at least $800 to buy a compressor that could keep up. It doesn't make sense to me to draw 20 amps of electricity to run the pneumatic die grinder when I can run a micro motor on 2 amps. The hose is also not as flexible as the cord of a micro motor so it doesn't give me the same ability to carve details. You pay less for the tool but more for the compressor and electricity. If you already have a compressor and are willing to wait for it to recharge if it's not big enough, and you don't use it often enough for the cost of the electricity to be an issue, then the grinder is a pretty good tool for the price.
http://www.youtube.com/user/carvedbyramsey?feature=mhee
Like my page on Facebook to get updates and see my latest work in progress as well as updates on classes.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ron-R...or/55391262469
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM

Don, this tool doesn't get hot, instead it gets cool from the air pushing through it.
Ron, I agree that it probably uses more than 2 cfm's, but for the price I figured it would be worth having since it runs at 56K. It gives a cheap initial investment for turbo carving that I've been wanting to try and I already had some diamond bits. Waiting for a couple of minutes for the compressor to catch up gives me time to work out hand cramps.
I liked it well enough and got enough positive response here that I went and bought one and took my neighbor's back.
I found the hose on my new grinder is more flexible than my neighbor's and since it isn't as heavy as the hand piece on my foredom and the dremel, it's more of a pleasure to use.
Thanks guys for your input. I do appreciate it.
Michael
Old 05-17-2012, 07:10 PM

The Turbo Carver is a different animal. It's much smaller, turns much faster, (300K RPM), and has a very flexible hose. It's for very fine detail. The HB pneumatic die grinder is more in line with a micro motor in the way it functions.
http://www.youtube.com/user/carvedbyramsey?feature=mhee
Like my page on Facebook to get updates and see my latest work in progress as well as updates on classes.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ron-R...or/55391262469
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 PM

The friction of the bearings on the spindle is what gets hot in a hand piece in a pneumatic hand tool not the electrical arcing of current to a armature. Cheaply made tools with less refined bearings and that includes most pneumatic tools will still get hot due to friction. I know mine do, I have many years of experience with pneumatic tools of all types. I have a pneumatic auger made by Volkswagen that is over 60 years old. Any tool that moves on bearings or bushings will create friction and get hot.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Sorry Ron, I really didn't mean turbo carver. My mistake. I knew a turbo carver runs faster. I was only trying to make the point that it was a cheap investment to see how I would like a high speed carver.
Don, I understand the heat due to the friction inside the hand piece. I was only thinking about the heat is or isn't transferred to my hand. Compared with my dremel and my foredom which both get hot, the HF grinder gets cold.
I told the salesman that if it lasted the 90 day warranty, I got my moneys worth, but realistically will it just be a crap shoot whether or not it will last longer than that?
Michael
Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM

You never know, but please keep us posted I for one love to hear how other carvers do what they do.