Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Unhappy MasterCarver Micro Pro...help.

I finally order a Micro Pro... but wished I had made other choices, this item was bought for me for my birthday and I order it. Needless to say, after many phone calls to the people I bought it from...., the 3/32 collet will not come out. There is no instruction manual just a piece of paper. It works great with the 3/32 collet, but it does not pop out, in fact that sucker is stuck in there. I have a Tech...calling on Monday, but if anyone has any advice on it. I would appreciate it, ...this was very upsetting as I was going to show friends how wonderful it was...needless to say everyone was digging for a manual...and making remarks about bad products....and my poor husband who purchased it, was upset also. I am sure a lot of people have had good luck with a working product... but as I seen in the past Mastercarver does have problems with this issue. I wished I had stuck to Foredom, little more expensive...but at least it has very well written manuals on parts, usage, how to change the brushes and ect... any way hopefully I do not have to send this back...all the way from Hawaii to Florida....poop....Di
Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Doug Ridley

Default Re: MasterCarver Micro Pro...help.

I feel sure you have done the obvious-twisting the release. But have you unscrewed the nose piece and checked the collet? Push the bit out from the rear of the collet.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Doug Ridley

This issue has been discussed before. Don't remember the details but you might search thru the last few power carving threads.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Di,

Sorry to hear about your problem. First rule: DON'T do anything until you talk to the tech support - you might void the warrantee.

If there is a money back guarantee, you might consider returning it and spending a little more for a Foredom. I have one and love it and have heard nothing but good about their units. You can't beat Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers for the 5240 kit:

Foredom 5240 Kit

My WCI Gallery
Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Carving Addict

Yes, this HAS happened before. You did rotate the ring in the center of the tool, right. It is what unlocks the collet (a new one comes with a pin in the collet). That should release it from the 1/8 collet and it should fall out.
If you have done that aleready and that doesn't work, I would certainly wait to talk to them. They are very nice helpful people and will sort it out in a hurry.
I remember when I first got mine, I was confused about which direction unlocked it. My center ring is marked with arrows but not with which direction does what.

Don't be sorry you bought it. It really is a high quality tool. Mine has been working hard for a long time and I have had ZERO problems with it. Foredom has the big name, and I have a couple of Foredom tools, they are great, BUT, you did not sacrifice anything by buying that tool. Believe me, they will give you fantastic service and help.

BobT

Last edited by BobT; 09-25-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Thanks everyone ..I think I found the problem, yes it rotates and works great ... after looking at a picture that was in the catalog that has pretty clear picture... I could see pieces on the hand piece that I did not have. I recieved my hand piece without the dummy piece in the unit... and I was trying to pull out the fixed collet on the hand piece. No wonder it would not come out, thank goodness. I did not pull it out with the pliers. Somehow the other collet had fallen out,.... along with dummy piece, which I found on the bottom of the box, but no collet. So Tech is calling but all I need is a collet. Which I order a few already few days ago... thank goodness. I am just disappointed. I think it is the gift syndome, you know you get the gift and it won't work, has lost pieces and I saying how great it is, trying to show everyone.... poor husband thought he poured about 300 down the toilet... it was not fun... but I will get over it. I am sure once I get this running it will be OK. I would think such a nice machine would come with a manual on how to care for, clear pictures with clear instructions... and the works instead of calling the people you order it from...I talked to them four times today. They couldnt figure out why it would not pop out....I never had a micro motor....I am just following instructions...that do not work. I felt sorry for them, and me too.... I rather been carving, then whining on the phone. smile thanks for you time Di
Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Doug Ridley

So it was nothing but an eye dee ten tee problem after all, Di. Don't feel bad. I have had many of those and will probably have many more.
LOL, Doug
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Kringle Addict

Hi Di, if I understand your post correctly, you are not having troubles getting the bits out, just changing out the 3/32 collet for a different one? They don't just pop out....I wish they did. You have to unscrew them with that wrench that comes with it. And that darn piece of paper that comes with it, is almost useless.... I love my Master Carver micro motor but it is not perfect.

I had to play with it for quite a while before I realized that I was turning the wrench the wrong way. They warn about over tightening it but mine never got tight, it just went around and around. I finally went the other way and after what seemed like an eternity, the collet started to come out. I would hate to go through that every time I wanted to change a collet so I bought a second handpiece. I keep a 3/32 collet in one and a 1/16 collet in the other. I just plug in the hand piece I want to use and go.

Now the models I have are a couple years old. The newer model might not be the same way. I am not sure why they changed them but my older model runs at 50,000 rpms. The newer one is listed at 45,000...and that is a good enough speed. But they really need to work on that collet thing. That is a royal pain in the @#@%..... Good luck, hope that's all it is and nothing really wrong with it. Let us know.

oops, missed the last post you wrote.... so you are using the 1/8 collet and the sleeve adapter for the 3/32 collet....wow, they still do that...that is a pain too, in my book. I had bought the regular 3/32 collet for mine as I don't really use a 1/8 collet in a micro motor. That collet isn't fixed but as I said earlier in this post, it screws out and they don't give you a clear idea of which way to turn it...they say either clock wise or counter clock wise, I forget but the diagram on the piece of paper doesn't show you from which view you should be looking when you decide the rotation. Glad you got it figured out though.... they sent it without the dummy bit??? wow. You are not supposed to ever close the collet without a shaft in it so I am amazed that it came without that... well, looks like things worked out so happy carving.

Last edited by susieq; 09-30-2009 at 09:10 PM.