Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Dull Knife

Default Re: A "heated" Question for Mastercarver Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecarver View Post
Heat build up should not be a problem at 30,000 RPM if the tool is functioning properly and the shaft is not bent too much. I am a professional carver and I have used Mastercarvers everyday for years for thousands of hours. I have switched from Foredom to Mastercarver because of the higher speed. To each their own.
I totally agree that one can not bend the shaft at extreme angles, and it has to be greased every once in awhile, if not, it will over heat and ruin the inner shaft. Just yesterday, I re greased the shaft on my Master Carver. So for heaven's sake, use the grease.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Dull Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmanmk3 View Post
The heat issue was exactly why I sold my Mastercarver and went back to Foredom. Actually I sold a few Wecheer units at the same time. I believe the heat build up is just the nature of running a flex shaft at 30,000 RPM.

Other things like how tightly you are bending the shaft, How much you are baring down on the handpiece, size & courseness of burr being used, how much and what type lubrication on the shaft, runout in the bearings etc... all plays into it. Naturally when all factors combine and conspire against you it can really take it's toll on even the best units ! You can end up in an eventual all consuming cycle of wear that no manufacturer can account for.

I'm a production carver so I just have several specialized units from 800 to 400,000 RPM that are particular to the task at hand. The high frequency spindles on the CNC mills are 10 hp. and are loaded with carbide spiral end mills. Doesn't take them long to cut through most anything. Unfortunately the cost of just one mill could easily set 8 or 10 guys up in business ! WTH was I thinking ?

I just don't under stand what is hapening with your hand piece?? I hold mine in my right hand, with out a glove, so that, when I need to change the bits, I can manipulate the steath key.

I have NEVER had any heat in the hand piece.

I'm thinking it's time for you to send the whole out fit back to your distributor, for them to have a look at what's going on with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Dull Knife
I'm getting excellent assistance from Wood Carvers Supply. Replacement parts are on the way. I started my conversation with them before I posted my question on this forum. My purpose for this post was to gain from the wealth of knowledge, experience and information all of you have emassed and boy is it extensive.

Through several beneficial discussions with the Tech at Wood Carvers Supply we have a pretty good idea of what's causing the problem.

I've worked with tools/instruments all my career. However, this is my first electric flex-shaft rotary tool (and the most expensive carving instrument I've ever owned). I have to admit, there was a learning curve I had to go through. It's a lot different than a Dremel!
I really enjoy, respect and highly value all of your comments. Thank you one and all,
Dave
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Dull Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoQ View Post
Dutchmanmk3,
Having a background working with tools all my life I understand and agree with everything you said about heat build up. However, I've only used the MC on Basswood for a little over a month with only two pieces on it. I'm using the handpiece at half or less its rated rpm. I think there may be a bearing problem with the hand piece.
I hope I can get the hand piece replaced under warranty.
Dave

Oh Boy, how lucky am I, as I must have got a real good Master Carver, as I've not had any problems since I've had it for 15 year's already, and I only use it on Bass Wood.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:27 AM

So I wanted to answer the question somebody asked about any help coming from the Mastercarver manual. The manual they send is this very generic manual that covers a whole bunch of different flex shaft products. The only advice it offers regarding speed is in the section covering the ReciPro handpiece, a handpiece that does not come with the Ultra kit. I did not pay much attention to it cause of that. But it does advise that the user use the "lowest speed setting" he can use based I am sure on the burr and the task at hand etc etc. So that is kinda' interesting based on the small sampling of responses we have here so far.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 AM

My Mastercarver heated up right from the start. I checked the inner shaft it was to spec.Sometimes it gets so hot I think it will melt the plastic sheath. The micro pro gets too hot to use. I hope someone can tell me what to do to stop this.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM

I had that problem with the foredom but not the mastercarver. I would have to venture a guess is that either you have too much lube on the shaft or not enough. I would take it apart and relube it and take care to spread it evenly.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
I had that problem with the foredom but not the mastercarver. I would have to venture a guess is that either you have too much lube on the shaft or not enough. I would take it apart and relube it and take care to spread it evenly.
Did you lube the shaft after you received it? It comes pre-lubed so if you did, there is too much lube on the shaft. If there is too much lube, you won't want to re-lube it. Pull the inner shaft out and check if it is saturated in lube. If it is, wipe it down and re-insert it. If it was saturated the extra amount of lube in the sheath will probably be enough. If you are using it with a recipro hand piece you are probably running it too fast. Call Woodcarver's Supply tech support. They are very nice and helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/user/carvedbyramsey?feature=mhee
Like my page on Facebook to get updates and see my latest work in progress as well as updates on classes.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ron-R...or/55391262469