Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Dremel Burrs

Hi guy I recently got into Power Craving, mainly relief carving. I bought myself a Dremel 4000 on Tuesday and picked up a few burrs from my local hardware store, they are these :-
High Speed Cutter 7,8 mm (144) - Dremel

Now I've seen on your site some Carbide Point Bits/Burrs called Typhoon, Saburr Tooth, Kutzall, and would like to know if anyone knows of a stockist in England, online hopefully.
The burrs in the link are a bit to tame for what I need at the minute, I need to take off a whole lotta wood and with that burr it's taken me about 3 hours and I'm about 1% through the project. I'm making a face out of a slab ( chainsawed piece through the trunk ) of Sycamore, it's about 3 inch thick and about 12 inch diameter, I need to take about an inch or so down to my base layer, it's taking forever. Thanks in advance
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Dremel Burrs

I have a Dremel 4000 too but I'm not much of a power carver. From what I know I believe the burrs you mentioned are too big to fit a Dremel tool. You might want to pick up a Tungsten Carbide bit for your Dremel...I just ordered one for mine. They are supposed to cut faster than high speed burrs. There is a mail order place here in the States called My Tool Store that carries all kinds of Dremel parts. That's where I get my Dremel parts from. Their address is Discount hand and power Tools. Over 40,000 at discount prices. Online since 1997, if you need it; we probably have it at the best price. . You can probably order it from there.

My etsy shop:
RWK Woodcarving
https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My email:
rwkoz51@gmail.com
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Cheers Bob, the chuck on my 4000 will only take 3.2mm up to now, I've not yet bought the multi chuck. To be honest I could probably do with a bit of advice on what bits do what. I've been reading this forum and watching youtube videos, but I'm not to sure on what bits will do the best job. For detail carving I've found the little ball cutters great, but for meaty work I'm not to sure at all. Sorry if this has been asked before, it's taking me a long time to read everything and at the minute it's becoming a little frustrating.

Last edited by Mikey Bonsai; 09-15-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 AM

My two best option are these :-

Dremel Bits - Structured Tooth Tungsten Carbide Cutters | Miles Tool & Machinery Centre

or these :-

Dremel Bits - Tungsten Carbide Cutters | Miles Tool & Machinery Centre
Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Dremels just don't take the larger burs that have a 1/4" shaft, so you are probably limited to 1/8" shaft burs. Flexshaft tools like Foredom and Wecheer have handpieces that accept the larger burs for more rapid stock removal. Or you could use the larger burrs with either an electrical or air longneck die grinder. These are kinda like a dremel only they take the larger burs. I have and inexpensive electric die grinder that I use for bigger things. You can also use sanding drums effectively for some stock removal or you might consider using gouges.....they can be as fast as power tools in some cases. Hope this helps a bit.

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 AM

Woodcarving Illustrated - How To Magazine for Carvers - Choosing Power Carving Bits
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM

I have a Dremel 1/8" shaft and use a green, toothed burr to "rough out" carvings up to 12" tall and relief carvings. It is green, 1/2" by about 3/8" and does a good job. Definitely less than 3 hours to do the job, but let the Dremel cool now and then. There is a yellow burr, same size, that is called "fine" that can help with the last little bit of wood. And the diamond burr for final height, if you are so inclined.

Joggernot
Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
I have a Dremel 1/8" shaft and use a green, toothed burr to "rough out" carvings up to 12" tall and relief carvings. It is green, 1/2" by about 3/8" and does a good job. Definitely less than 3 hours to do the job, but let the Dremel cool now and then. There is a yellow burr, same size, that is called "fine" that can help with the last little bit of wood. And the diamond burr for final height, if you are so inclined.

Joggernot
Hi Joggernot, I've just ordered the multichuck so can take anything from 0.8mm to 3.4mm, I'll have to get my head around imperial whilst I'm on here. When you say a Green burr and a yellow burr, do you have a name or a company that makes them ?, thanks. I've also just ordered a book called Carving Wood Spirits by LS Irish, I'm hoping that will give me some good information. The more I read the more I'm inclined to get some decent carving chisels and do it by hand, then maybe save the intricate work for the Dremel.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:12 PM

This is one link. Search internet for carving tooth burr and then look for coarse and fine.

Saburr Tooth Burrs (Set 5 Coarse) with a 1/4" Shank-Traditional Woodworker

These are for 1/4" shank, but you can find them for 1/8" shank as well. This gives you an idea of what I use.

Joggernot
Old 09-15-2012, 05:37 AM

Brilliant Joggernot. I've found one supplier in the UK for them, been googling for days too. I thought Dremel had the monopoly on Burrs over here in the UK. Thanks again fella.

By the way just for reference if anyone else in the UK needs them the link is

Power_Carving