Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 12:38 AM

Default Attach Kutzall extreme contour wheel onto dremel?

Hello, newbie here!

I have wanted to get into wood carving for many years and I have just got started. So far I have done a Santa Cypress knee, a wood spirit cypress knee, a first nation style eagle panel and a love spoon. I am quite pleased with my initial efforts and am keen to move to bigger and better things!

I have purchased some wood and trying to carve my first bowl. I read a previous post saying that the Kutzall attachments are best for roughing out (I think that is the right term for removing the wood to make the bowl?!).
I purchased a couple of the Kutzall extreme 2" contour wheels.

However, I cannot attach these to my dremel 400 XPR! Is there any way I can do this? Maybe an adaptor I can buy? The Kutzall wheels came witha '1/4" shank adaptor' which is a screw with 2 nuts to attach the wheel to a tool (but not my dremel!). It does attach to my cordless drill, but this does not have enough power!

Please help Woodcarving Illustrated forums, you're my only help!

Regards,
Graham
Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Dull Knife

Default Re: Attach Kutzall extreme contour wheel onto dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoore230 View Post
Hello, newbie here!

I have wanted to get into wood carving for many years and I have just got started. So far I have done a Santa Cypress knee, a wood spirit cypress knee, a first nation style eagle panel and a love spoon. I am quite pleased with my initial efforts and am keen to move to bigger and better things!

I have purchased some wood and trying to carve my first bowl. I read a previous post saying that the Kutzall attachments are best for roughing out (I think that is the right term for removing the wood to make the bowl?!).
I purchased a couple of the Kutzall extreme 2" contour wheels.

However, I cannot attach these to my dremel 400 XPR! Is there any way I can do this? Maybe an adaptor I can buy? The Kutzall wheels came witha '1/4" shank adaptor' which is a screw with 2 nuts to attach the wheel to a tool (but not my dremel!). It does attach to my cordless drill, but this does not have enough power!

Please help Woodcarving Illustrated forums, you're my only help!

Regards,
Graham

Save your Dremel for the small stuff. Even if you could get it to fit on to your Dremel, you'd burn it up. You need to get a power carving machine, something that's got lots of power.
I have a Master Carver. The 1/3 hp motor is attached to a flex shaft and the hand piece will accomodate a 1/4 inch bit.
Check with Wood Carvers Supply. Ask them for their catalog. Their phone number is (941) 460-0123. they have what you need.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Hi thanks very much. Would a Die Grinder also be better for wood bowls? I am on a budget (new baby arriving!) and have seen a die grinder which takes 1/4 inch bits. What should I look for?
- Specifications:
- Collet size: 1/4"
- Free speed: 22,000 rpm
- Length: 6-3/4" / 171 mm
- Net weight: 1.32 lb / 0.60 kg
- Average air consumption: 12 cfm
- Air pressure: 90 psi / 6.2 bar
- Air inlet: 1/4" NPT
Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 AM

No way, you will kill the dremel.... you need at least 1/3 hp....and even then you can burn up the engine if you do not let it cool down. Kutzall Extreme is great stuff, but it need power to push them....and I went along with Don, who uses die grinders for these bits. And make sure you got leather gloves, (Not carving glove)....these bits not only eat the wood, they can run up your hand and on to arm. I used the Kutzall Extreme, and killed a few tools....lots of money down the toilet.

World Woodcarvers and Sculptors
http://www.facebook.com/DiLeon.morrow
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 PM

I donít like grinders with a flex shaft I want to hold the tool with both hands yes you can get 1/4" die grinders you can get huge 1/2" with 14 amps. Look at the orange Saber-toothed bit on my die grinder that is nearly as big as that dremel and it destroys wood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onedie.jpg (50.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Hello everyone I am quite the noob as well. I was bummed out to realize that kutzall extreme would not work with my dremel however when I read in the description that it was 2 inches in diameter I questioned the idea anyway.
I have always had a passion for woodworking and I recently decided to shift away from doing music all of the time and get into woodworking. I have a huge spalted and burled up dogwood tree in my garage right now and I am anxious to carve it into a bunch of different pieces of art. Right now I am at a standoff between purchasing a Foredom K.5300 and some typhoon burs or an Arbortech mini grinder. I have focused most of my attention towards the Foredom because I can use interchangeable bits for sanding and polishing and I do not think that the Arbortech can offer this. I do plan to make some large vases out of the dogwood so this is another bother to me. Can the Foredom handle the stress of carving a large vase or would the Arbortech be better for the job?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Die grinders all theway. the arbortech will burn out its belt quick on big jobs. I have the hitachi gp2, for 6 years without issue, Kazook

Tags
dremel, kutzall