Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Power Carving
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Power Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Arbortech vs Foredom w/ Recip Chisel kit

I'm getting into carving bowls and have the Lancelot carving wheels for my grinder already. I've been eyeing the reciprocating carvers and like the Arbortech. The constant oiling and heat issues are of concern though. The price for the Arbortech and some chisels is about the same as what I've found for the Foredom recip kit. Which would the experts suggest?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Arbortech vs Foredom w/ Recip Chisel kit

Hi, I have the Arbortech. One diffrence that I see is it is much larger than the chisels for the foredom unit. I purchased it to do larger scale work and will be purchasing the foredom unit soon. The Arbortech is noisey, its kinda large so I have had to get used to it, after an hour my hands feel slightly numb and tingle but thats kinda part of holding a reciprocating tool I guess.
Ron Perales
Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM
North of 49

I had that problem Ron with a chain saw. I got a pair of antivibration gloves. They look like cycling gloves but they have gelled pockets in them. They really cut down the numbness and "pins and needles" a lot.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Todd,
I have a Foredom reciprocating handpiece, but haven't used it a whole lot. I don't think I've ever used it on basswood. I've made some spirit faces on old locust fence posts which are hard as iron. The handpiece does heat up in this situation.
DickB
Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 AM

The anti-vibration gloves sound like a good purchase. Though to be honest, I rarely get enough carving time that it's an issue

Ron - Do you find the oiling to be cumbersome with the Arbortech? I turn bowls as well and find I get lost in the piece. I'd be afraid I'd forget!

Todd
Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 AM

The oiling isn't a problem really, I just put a drop in when I start and one after an hour or so depending on the carving and material. I am working in basswood on my current projects as it carves like butter with the arbortec. I previously have only done hand work but use a router for fast material removal on flat stock!
Ron
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 AM

I have two Automach reciprocating carvers I love them for small to medium size carvings. I found they get hot after 45 min of continuous work that is why I have two of them when one gets hot I pick up the other. I can sit in my recliner with the TV on and carve without a mallet and no dust. I have a large assortment of blades I ordered from Japan. I won’t say my Automach is my favorite tool but it is way up on my list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg russ.jpg (88.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 11:07 AM
MyMother'sDaughter!

I have the Arbortech. I don't have a Foredom, so i don't know how they compare. I haven't used it a whole lot, but I like it. The oiling is no problem, I just kind of keep my eye on the time. The only problem I had with it was the switch. I bought it attached to an arbortech angle grinder. Had to send it in to have it fixed to arbortech,USA. They fixed it for free after the warranty expired. All I had to do was pay shipping to get it there. If I bought another, I would attach it to a makita angle grinder.I haven't noticed it getting real hot, but I also haven't used it for great lengths of time in one carving session.Hope this helps some.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM

I had read that you needed to oil every 15 min but that must have been the manufacturers recommendation. Good to know it's not quite so frequent. I like the Arbortech but the heat could really be an issue. I can't afford two but don't generally carve for more than an hour or two anyway. I'm thinking I might get the Merlin kit since my issue was a matter of finer details and the Merlin is only ~$200. I have a mallet and basic chisel set so I may just stick with that. Too many hobbies and not enough cash

Todd