Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tutorials
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Wood Carving Tutorials

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Patterns From Pictures

I like to draw with an HB pencil on 11" x 17" copy paper. Buy a whole package.
1. Next count out 50 sheets and draw a fairly careful center line on each. Of the most recent batch, I have 9 left.
2. If I need bigger paper, I have a cheap Crownline Paper Table Cover = roll is 36" wide by 100' long.
3. Use Google Images to find thousands of pictures of whatever interests me. When I click on a thumbnail, I get to the website of origin. On the RH side of my computer screen, I see Full Size Picture. If I click on that, I get the picture by itself and I can print that.
4. Draw a center line on the picture. Start measuring off significant items in the picture and transfer that, scaled up, to my paper.
5. This example will be a halibut-shaped serving tray that I'll need this summer for a house-warming gift.
6. The fish has to fit on 13" x 23.5" x 1" birch. I scaled the fish up and somehow got a 24.5" drawing! Oh well. Notice how much space is fins and tail. Not useful dish space.
7. I liked the head so I cut that off drawing #1 and taped it onto page #2. Taped drawing #1 to a window and traced much smaller fins.
8. I make different design ideas in color pencil. Orange is always cutting instruction.
9. When I was satisfied with the shapes I saw, I used regular carbon paper to transfer the drawing to the wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HalibutdrwgsmallA.jpg (109.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg HalibutdrwgsmallB.jpg (96.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg HalibutdishsmallA.jpg (113.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Patterns From Pictures

Here's another example, soon to be a Green Sea Turtle.
1. Google images found many thousands of images. I got lucky and found drawings as I knew the top and bottom patterns are really different.
2. Same paper, same method as for the Halibut serving dish WIP.
3. I knew I'd have to carve the head and neck as a separate piece so I have two going and I'll pick the one I like best.
4. Western Red Cedar log shell, about 16" x 16" x 4" thick. Skinned off the sapwood, hogged out the core rot. Probably the very best piece of WRC that I have ever carved. So nice, I'm not sure I want to put any paint or stain on it.
5. Did quite a bit of the carving before I finally cut away (by hand) the waste around the body & legs. The very last carving work of all will be to thin the leg fins. Why? As they are downswept, they support the turtle when right side up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turtle smallF.jpg (112.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg turtle smallB.jpg (136.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg turtle smallG.jpg (100.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg turtle smallHH.jpg (118.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Nice tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks Claude. Hope I'm giving something back. I set these aside to get the Frog Dish, the Fish and the Humpback whale done and posted.
Turtle pic #2: At this point, I drilled 1/8" holes right through the block close to the points/corners where the legs meet the body. Flipping it over, the drawing for the underside registered beautifully. The holes made good stop cuts when I hand cut away the waste with a coping saw. This is a piece that I really want to see finished.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM

Thank you for this, very informative and good direction for one who is just starting and mostly confused. Appreciate your time and expertise. Great Turtle, maybe one day I can.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 PM

The drawings of the top, bottom, legs & head of a Green Sea Turtle turned up in several places. Search Wikipedia for GST and you will find the drawings that I used. Every time you carve off a part of the centerline on the wood, replace it. The turtle shell anatomy helps a lot. If anything, bigger would be better. The shapes are simple. If I can find a piece of WRC log, 24" x 24" x 6" thick, I'll do another one. WRC doesn't hold detail so I can happily ignore all the bumpy things on the fins, head & neck!
In the last pic, you can see my two turtle heads. Notice the 3/8" holes at one end of each piece? I carved both of those on my no-clamp peg board and they were quick. 4 holes and I rolled the wood left, right, top & bottom. Those are pieces that I split out of WRC logs.

Last edited by Robson Valley; 03-28-2012 at 01:51 PM.