Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > New Projects and Works in Progress (WIP)
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
New Projects and Works in Progress (WIP)

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Default This little devil

Hi, here's a cute little figure I started working on. He's not Old Nick, despite the resemblance - in fact he doesn't live in the Underworld at all. He only has the paraphernalia to look more ferocious. I'm going to hang him inside my door, so people will see him first thing when they come in, and know not to start anything. Should work fine against superstitious burglars, I guess.

I have an actual reason for posting this: this is only my second attempt at figure carving. Now - I know technically it's a far cry from anything I'm hoping to achieve, and any competent carver should see quite a lot to improve (it's not finished but even when it is). However, I'm very satisfied with how I could transfer my drawing ability, and the consequent ability to see forms, into carving. What I'm getting at (if beginner-to-beginner advice is allowed): those of you who can handle the tools well enough but don't know where to go next: please pick up a pencil and start drawing from nature, and keep doing it. In a few years it will pay off big time.

Sorry for the bad picture quality - I lost the software to my camera and have to use a webcam.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dev.pdf (265.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by hruukki; 03-22-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Re: This little devil

Good or bad, it doesn't make any difference, I can't bring the picture up, would love to see it.
Cliff
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Hi Cliff, I made a pdf of it since then I can use a better quality. Please download Acrobat Reader from the net - it's free. Here's a link:

Adobe - Reader

Save the file to your disk (make sure to look which folder it goes into) and double click the icon when you find it in the disk. You can use Windows Explorer for finding it.

I'll send a JPG file when I get the piece finished, so you'll get to see it later anyway, if this doesn't work.

Last edited by hruukki; 03-22-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

i think your doing great!he is pretty cute.good advice on drawing.I've been carving for about 4 or 5 years in my middle age. some as a teenager.only have carved 7 or 8 pieces at this stage in my life, so i'm still pretty new to carving.i made quit a few polymer clay dolls and sculptures out of paper clay and paper mache.that has helped me alot, i still am looking to improve my carving abilities also.it's a fun and sometimes painful process.LOL keep up the great work!