Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > New Projects and Works in Progress (WIP)
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
New Projects and Works in Progress (WIP)

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Default Hand Carved, Oak Leaf Coffee Table

Hi folks. This is my first attempt at woodworking/furniture making. Appreciate any feedback on what could be better.

Oh, this is made of Red Oak. Glass is still on order. The glass will lay level with the table top. Measures about 4' long x 22" wide.

Any guesses on what this could sell for? I plan to make a major change in occupation soon and expect to take a decent hit in pay But maybe I could make up for it with the woodworking???

Thanks!
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02104.JPG (291.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02348.jpg (48.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02399.JPG (309.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02415.JPG (324.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02418.JPG (296.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

Default Re: Hand Carved, Oak Leaf Coffee Table

Saw the title of this and had to check it out and realized you are one of my FB friends! LOL
I have no clue how much to ask for this. I have a hard enough time pricing my own things I carve.
You put your heart and soul and lots of time in it, so don't under sell yourself or this piece.
I would think nothing under $2000, but I think it is worth much, much more!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Optimus Pine

Scott..... WOWEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I admire hand carved furniture! This piece is amazing! Wonderful Job! I agree with Sharon... A piece like that could fetch $2k in the right market! Innercity yuppy types with upper 5 figure to lower 6 figure salaries... I could very well see it happening.... Are you going to Urethane the top, or glass top????.........

“Where those who are not artists are trying to close the book, he opens it, to show there are still more pages possible”
Robert Henri 'The Art Spirit'

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...me/lazy-carver

Last edited by Lazy Carver; 03-16-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: oops on price... quoting sharon...
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM

The carving work is very well done, deep and textured.
The table is somewhat of a mission style (usually done in white oak) and will appeal to folks who like mission style furniture. Red oak is not one of my favorite woods due to the highly figured grain but some like that.
Pricing for the piece is more of what a willing buyer wants to spend. You have to find the client and then offer a price and see if they bite. I would try the $2000 as Sharon suggested and see what happens.

Trying to make a decent living at furniture making is tricky. You need the clients and you need to get the word out on what you do. At least you realize this will be a big hit to your current income stream.

I have done custom pieces for friends who knew of my work and asked if I could do a piece.
To give you an idea of pricing check my website. For the china cabinet that was done as
a matching piece that was done for about $4000. It was a lot of work to match the moldings.

The Chippendale mirror in the projects list was done for a client in NY state. The frame is black walnut - $450 delivered. I was hoping for follow on business - never came.
A viewer asked if I could build them a dining set like the cherry one I did for us. Same table with six chairs. I quoted $9000 and never heard back. The cherry would have cost close to $1000 for the needed materials.

I hope some of this helps.
Good luck in your adventure.

Please visit my website
Robert A Blaney - Clocks and Fine Furniture

Learning more about carving from the folks on the forum.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up" - Jimmy Valvano
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks Sharon Rob and Bob! Helpful tips.

Bob, I totally understand what you're saying. When I switch jobs come fall, I will NOT be going into the furniture business. I just hope I can use the wood working as an additional income source... you know, side jobs to help make the income hit less painful. And I also understand your preference for white oak... Furniture is brand new to me (I'm more of a carver). that was the first time using a table saw amongst many other new things. I really enjoyed carving the oak and will definitely make more oak furniture... but I'll use white oak like you said. I actually cant wait to build some of my own furniture from quarter sawn, white oak!

I dont think I will sell this one, but just looking for input on value. I would be very happy to sell for $1700-$2000.

Thanks
Scott
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Carver View Post
Are you going to Urethane the top, or glass top????.........
Oh, I already finished with satin poly. A glass top is on order. The glass will sit flush with the table top over the carving.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Hi Scott, You have done a Beautiful of work, made my mouth drop open. On the price of it, all I know for sure is that I wouldn't be able to afford it. Just Beautiful. Merle
Old 03-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to kimschance

Spectacular! I am in complete awe.
Here in NE, we have a group - League of Craftsman - your piece would be gone in a heartbeat at 2 g's. There are a couple of furniture carvers in the group, and there their pieces all start at 5g and go up from there. I would check around your area for local guilds etc. As anything, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but that is a fine, fine piece!
Chance
Old 03-16-2012, 01:45 PM

Excellent work. It should sell, but at what price I hae no clue. Maybe you can place it at a fine furniture store on consignment. You might not get as much for yur share that way but the store will have customers that are willing to pay high dollar for quality,so it might work out. Keep up the fantastic work.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks much Merle, Kim and Slowmover! Thanks for the kind words
Scott