Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > New Projects and Works in Progress (WIP)
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
New Projects and Works in Progress (WIP)

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Default Dick Proenneke's Log Cabin (mini cabin project)

As a project for me and the kids I have started to build a mini log cabin size 18x12 the inspiration was from Dick Proenneke's cabin YouTube - Alone in the Wilderness so far we have cut the wood into pieces and then flatten the sides of the wood total time so far about 8 hours kids are very excited about building this and then making all the other pieces for this such as the fence furniture etc.. all hand made using no power tools..
will post photos at the end of the week hopefully by sat..
btw check out the video to see how the cabin he made was done...
photos here
http://fandhphotography.com/week1/
This is week one of the project

Dick Proenneke was a HUGE inspiration for me to have a love of the outdoors and carving

here is a summary of his life and work

I would love to see anyones work if they have done anything like this either in mini scale of larger scale... and WOULD LOVE some do's and dont's thank you...

In 1968 at the age of 51 Richard (Dick) Proenneke constructed a log cabin at Upper Twin Lakes and lived there alone for almost 30 years. In 1980, Twin Lakes became part of the Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, and Dick became a volunteer backcountry interpreter and naturalist. A diesel mechanic by trade, decades of living in wilderness would transform Dick into what some might call a landscape ecologist.

A keen observer and meticulous recorder, Dick was fascinated by weather phenomena, annual phenological events, cyclic natural fluctuations in animal abundance, and plant-animal interactions. Inquisitive and deliberate, he not only observed and recorded but also asked the question, “Why?”.

A wolverine carcass found in spring at the head of a valley would be systematically probed for weeks. What was its sex and age? Was there evidence of emaciation or broken bones? Was the carcass in an avalanche zone? In A Sand County Almanac Aldo Leopold wrote: “Keeping records enhances the pleasure of the search, and the chance of finding order and meaning in these events.” At Twin Lakes, Dick found order and meaning by recording natural events. He began recording his observations and measurements in 1968 and continued to do so until 1995, the last full year he spent at Twin Lakes.

He wrote most of his notes on wall calendars, the type that rural Iowa hardware stores give to loyal customers at the start of the new year. Entries included dates of lake freeze-up; lake ice break-up; den entry and den emergence by brown bears; first calving by moose; first lambing by Dall sheep; and nest initiation by Gray Jays. Dick also recorded daily high and low air temperatures; monthly winter snow pack and lake ice thickness; and random events such as severe storms, earthquakes, and landslides. Dick had a special interest in wolves and annually recorded winter pack size, number of kills, and composition of kills.

Sustained and simple like the monitoring program we aspire to build, Dick’s calendars and journals are among the longest continuous data sets for any Alaska National Park. Trends in the duration of lake ice cover on Upper Twin Lake plotted from Dick’s records (1969-95) parallel those of other Northern Hemisphere sites and provide evidence that freshwater ecosystems are responding to a warming climate.

Dick’s love for wilderness, passion for observing and understanding the natural world around him, and his dedication to keeping records are an inspiration to all of us as we develop and implement long-term monitoring in the Southwest Alaska Network.

Last edited by GIOUA; 03-04-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fixing links
Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

Default Re: Dick Proenneke's Log Cabin (mini cabin project)

That was really interesting.My husband and I have wanted a log cabin for years.Maybe someday! I've thought about building a miniature one(dollhouse size) for sometime now.I'm looking forward to pictures of your project, it sounds like a really fun thing to do, especially with kids.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for posting and keep us updated on you'alls project.You and the kids will enjoy the building of and using the cabin and will always have the memories.Tony
Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the replies... would love to see anyone who has taken on a task like this or has done log furniture
Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Sanding Class Dropout

Yep, quite a story, read the book about him and saw the film on PBS about him.

OG
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Great project!!!

I just finished reading "One Man's Wilderness." Dick Proenneke's story had fascinated me for a long time. Good luck on the cabin.

Ken
Old 08-07-2010, 09:13 AM

I was motivated by reading "On Man's Wilderness" and seeing the film as well.

Here's my project. I'm a rank amateur, but I've been learning as I go, about using and sharpening old hand tools, waterstones, felling trees, notching, and lots of things. I guess the details are in the blog -- start at the beginning in the acrhives and read to the present, and post comments on the blog if you have any suggestions or advice!

http://coldholler.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Will
Old 08-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Pictures please ,can't wait to see them!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM

Thank you for sharing. Please post pictures of your progress. The details are always interesting.
Dick led a marvelous life. I am sure there are many of us that daydream about getting away to such solitude, to escape the hectic world we have made. But alas, certain things get in the way, a wife, a job, kids and all that important stuff.

Thanks for bringing back the info on Dick.

Please visit my website
Robert A Blaney - Clocks and Fine Furniture

Learning more about carving from the folks on the forum.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up" - Jimmy Valvano
Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to FrankieJ
Default Pants

Bump