Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 AM

Post Hello All

Mobster Hello Everybody. Just found this Message Board. Have been carving for about 8 or 9 years. I live in Oklahoma City. I had to stop carving for 18 months due to a house fire and then the rebuild. Sure am glad to be back home. I'm also on disability so I spend a lot of each day carving and looking for carving projects.

During the rebuild, I had them put tile in my master bedroom, so I just carve in my easy chair and half watch/listen to the boob tube. I have all my carving tools in three wooden tool boxes. I have a shop in my garage, so I also do regular woodworking.

It was funny how I got started carving. I was in Yellowstone and went into a curio shop south of the park in Jackson Hole, WY. I saw a great totem pole that was hand carved and I told myself, "Why buy it, you can do that!"

I've gone to a few classes at Woodcraft. Some were good, some not so good. I would like to take off for a week and go to a really good school. Anybody that can recommend one, it would be greatly appreciated.

I do a little of everything. If I had to claim a style, I guess it would be caricatures. I'm not into birds at all. Don't know why, but they just don't interest me carving them.

I'll post some picture in the very near future. Again Hello to All. Looking forward to communicating with everyone.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy
Default Re: Hello All

Walt, welcome to the WCI Forum. You will find a lot of woodcarvers, lots of good carving, lots of assistance, and a generally fun group.

I enjoyed your comment on the way you got into woodcarving. It reminded me of a sign I saw at a craft fair in Indiana, many years ago, "Sure you could, but would you?" It seems your answer was "Yes!".

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
A passion for carving

Hi there Walt,

Welcome to the site. Share your carvings with us when your ready.
Patrick
Old 03-09-2008, 02:05 PM

Hey there Walt , welcome to the site. There is all kinds of help available on this site. just ask and some great carvers will be more then happy to help you out. check out Lynn O Doughty's threads on here . he lives near you and might be of help to you

http://picasaweb.google.com/al.hillis/WOODCARVINGSMINE

Its better to take two steps forward and one step back then never having danced at all

Last edited by Al_Hillis; 03-09-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Welcome Walt. We live up here just south of Grove. Like Al was kind enough to mention, check out my blog and you'll find all kinds of useful tips, at least I hope their useful.
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM

hello walt glad you have found us, there are alot of schools around, there is the john c campbell folk school in brasstown,nc if you want to travel, also phil and vicki bishop live in elk city, and have a carving class once or twice a year around elk city that would be a great class for a caricature carver, you can check them out on theire website just do a search and you will find them vicki posts on here quite often as well anyways post some pics when you get a chance,

bart
Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 PM

Walt,
Welcome to the board and yes we do two classes a year out here in Elk City. I have been to Lynn's blog and it is very good, lots of info.

http://www.bishopwoodcarving.com/
Old 03-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Hi Vicki,

I'm a fan of your work. I am in the process of trying one of your husbands patterns I found on WCI. Would like to come out and meet you both some time. When are your next classes? Do you ever do one on one teaching?

Thanks!
Walt
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM

Walt,
Go to our website on the class info page, there is a list of seminars (the May class is full). We haven't done any one on one but we are doing some planning to do more here at home. If you want to talk further about all of this just private message me and we can talk about it in detail.

http://www.bishopwoodcarving.com/
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Walt,
Welcome to our discussion board. You're not too far from here...so in addition to considering advice and assistance from Phil and Vickie (they're awesome teachers and you'll learn lots about caricatures and even animals) but if you're looking for realistic animals, consider other Okies Debbe Edwards in Miami or Rex and Vickie Branson up closer to where Lynn lives. I think Debbe is the tops for learning all about carving animals. I'd also recommend you thinking about the Carving Rendezvous in Branson spring and fall and the Silver Dollar City experience in the spring. Both offer a variety of carving topics (although the SDC is wider than the Rendezvous. ) I've been to both.

You're probably not much farther from Texas workshops.

There's a good carving show in Ok City each year and it's a good place to make connections and learn of area clubs and workshops.

Donna T