Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Has anyone carved briar pipes?

My younger son has asked me to carve him a pipe. Well, that is a totally different thing to carve than what I have started getting used to..... Canes and staffs. So, I was just wondering if anyone here has ever tried carving pipes.

I've ordered two pre-bored briar blocks, one Ebauchon, and the other Plateau from PIMO pipes. I've watched YouTube videos, and visited several websites in trying to get some grasp as to what it's gonna take.

Can anyone offer any advice from experiences you have had.

Thanks,

Kim
Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Has anyone carved briar pipes?

Here are a couple related threads:

Here are some Briar Pipes

Briar Pipe
Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Uncle Wiskers'

I carved a couple, MANY years ago, resembeling the ones in the "Here ase some Briar Pipes" link. Only advice that I can think of is to try to keep the walls of the pipe fairly even in thickness. I had one that burnt through. (Not uncommon just unwanted.)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM

I did many years ago for a Stoner I served with. They called him RAT I carved him a pipe with a rat on the bowl. I think the pipe was used daily by the Heads in "H" company. I remeber taking thin slicing cuts and the wood leaves a clean finish but dulls tools. That is my memory from 1978 Lebanon.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the links and help, folks. Ordered the kits from PIMO, hope to have them by the weekend.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Uncle Wiskers'

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 AM

Well, I received my pipe kits from PIMO in Friday's mail, so I started yesterday on my first. I found out very quickly that hand tools ( knives and gouges) were not the tools of choice! I began by using a coping saw to remove the excess wood from the ebauchon block, then resorted to the Dremels, one cordless and the other with the flex shaft, and used the sanding drums for the most part.... those and a belt sander for the major stock removal. After the major work down, I have since used 100 grit and 150 grit sandpaper. I have learned some "how tos" and some "how not tos" (one biggie being the use of eye goggles and a dust mask), but I have enjoyed it so far. My wife ordered me four different alcohol soluble stains/dyes last evening from PIMO ( Cherry, Medium Walnut, Dark Walnut, and Brown Mohogany). I should have time to progress through the finer grits of sandpaper and steel wool before the dyes come in.

Now, I need your help. Should I continue with the slick finishing, or rusticate it with a dremel and carbide tips? And, what color should I use? My younger son requested that I carve him a pipe, so I'd like it to be nice.

Next, I have the Plateau block to consider what to do with! LOL !!! I am so enjoying my newfound hobby of working with wood in various forms and formats, and enjoy this site and the fine folks here!

Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstPipe.jpg (15.6 KB, 25 views)