Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Default Fuzzie Eliminator

It has been said that, "Sometimes, even the blind squirrel finds an acorn".
Today, this blind squirrel found an acorn. My wife came up from the basement and said that she hoped this little carving was not ruined, as she handed me a carving. She said it must have been in pocket of my dirty stained, jeans when she soaked them in Lestoil, then washed and dried them.

The carving was in great shape! In fact, my usual fuzzies and messy cuts were all but gone. The carving was truly ready for a paint wash. Tomorrow I plan on rounding up some of my really fuzzie invested carvings and put them through a, more or less, controlled experiement in a presoak and wash/dry cycle.

Tom H
Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
WhittleBear Carver

Default Re: Fuzzie Eliminator

You can save some soap and water by using balled up brown paper and "buff" the carving with the paper. Making "points" with a folded over corner of the paper will help get into the tight palces. And then take a stiff bristle brush like a toothbrush or a denture brush, and using a spare amount of soap and a little bit of water, and scrub down the carving until all the stains, hand oils, etc. are gone.

Or--you can take the lazy way and just put a couple of carvings in your pants pockets on laundry day and let the missus do your "dirty" work! LOL

Bob L

Last edited by Just Carving; 07-07-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM

Talking Re: Fuzzie Eliminator

There you go, that would be a good way to make some money, even the names catchy. You could sell a sealable bag and market as a fuzzy eliminator. Make sure on the instructions that it must be done when the wife is not home.
Mel

My Gallery
Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 PM

The truth be known it was probably harder on your jeans than it was on your carving....
Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Hey Bob! That would be me! No one as lazy as I am. My wife already knowsthat too.
Mel, great idea! but I am too lazy to follow up on it. But My dirty jeans do have five pockets; and I do carve small.
Eddy, I'll gladly sacrifice a pair of nasty, dirty ol jeans; to get rid of fuzzies.

The truth be told; I am just lookin for an excuse for not paying more attention to my carvings, and do a better job of carving.

Tom H
Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
Eddy, I'll gladly sacrifice a pair of nasty, dirty ol jeans; to get rid of fuzzies.
Tom H
Then sell your pants to Eddy! I think 50 dollars for a fuzzy eliminator is a fair price.
Mel

My Gallery
Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Knife Nerd

So your saying the jeans did the trick or the lestoil? And... what is Lestoil

Corey

Visit My Website at:
http://theiowacarver.blogspot.com/

Friend My On Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/challagan1

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Corey, Lestoil is a liquid cleaner. Kinda like Pine Sol. It must be purty powerful, because my wife uses it on all my jeans that get oil and grease on them. I know it is not marketed in California, as we take my daughter some every time we drive out there. It really works on grease, so it must work on fuzzies too.

Tom H
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Knife Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
Corey, Lestoil is a liquid cleaner. Kinda like Pine Sol. It must be purty powerful, because my wife uses it on all my jeans that get oil and grease on them. I know it is not marketed in California, as we take my daughter some every time we drive out there. It really works on grease, so it must work on fuzzies too.

Tom H
Got yah bud, will have to look for it here! Thanks.

Corey

Visit My Website at:
http://theiowacarver.blogspot.com/

Friend My On Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/challagan1

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM

You must have one awful understandin' wife! If I left one of my carvings in my pocket I sure wouldn't be telling you mugs about it on this forum... I'd be out in the back yard pushin' up daisies!

P.S... Ain't no pair of jeans worth $50.00, I don't care who's butt they've been on!....