Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 AM

Default Flute Router Jig.

Today I started my venture into making a flute. I do not have a router table. I did not want to buy one if I was not going make the flutes more than once or twice. So I made a jig for routing out the center of the flute. It worked out very well. I thought I would share it for those who may not have a router table and are looking into making a flute.
I wanted to router the center of a X 1 “x 24 “board. Using a core box bit. I put the board to be routed in the center of a scrap piece “plywood about 8”x 30”. Then I skewed down one 3/4”x 3”x 24” on either sides of it. Fitting them snugly on the board in the center but not so tight that the board could not be mover back and forth. My router has a 5 “base. I measured out 2 7/8th from the center of the board to be routed out in each direction, placing a mark on each end and center of the each 3/4”x3” . I rip two small thin boards 24” long and placed them on the marks I made on the 3/4”x3”s. This created a rail for each side of the router and centered the core box router bit in the center of the board to be routed. Once the “x 1 was in the jig I found that I needed to put a block at both ends because the board would move back and forth with the force of the router. One block I skewed down the other end I clamped in place. That was part of my learning curve. I had to discard one broad. After that I routed out 6 broads that I hope to make into 3 flutes to carve on. I will let you know how it goes. I hope this may be of some help to someone.
Attachment 64239Attachment 64240Attachment 64241

Attachment 64242Attachment 64243

Randy
MAKE TODAY A DAY THAT LETS YOU SMILE!

Last edited by carvingbarn; 11-10-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 AM
chipchaptom

Default Re: Flute Router Jig.

I can almost hear it now Randy. You did a great job on the routing.

Tom
Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Good thought you have there.
You can get the router bit chuck for your Shop Smith and with the table and fence use that fixture thus eliminating the hand held router.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 PM

Send a message via MSN to Inadv

Score again!!!! Good times! I just bookmarked The Sunday Woodcarver's band saw jig for cutting on the diagonal and here comes another great jig that will need to be made. Thanks Randy for sharing a great idea, and for suffering the learning curve for the rest of us.

L.P.

Inadv

Rule 1: Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
- Mark Twain
Rule 2: There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
- George Carlin
Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 PM

I forgot to share one thing. I put 3 coats of Johnson& Johnson floor wax on the jig. It helped the router to gullied smoothly in the jig,

Randy
MAKE TODAY A DAY THAT LETS YOU SMILE!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Buffalo Bif

Send a message via Yahoo to Buffalo Bif

Next you need to share your glueing and clamping experiences with us....
I started looking at Native style flute construction recently but have not gotten past the thinkin stage yet. Thanks, Randy.
My Blog
Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Hey Brian and Randy,
Just a suggestion:
I suggest using Titebond III for gluing the blanks together, and for clamping...I use strips of innertube that I stretch and wrap around the blanks like a boa constrictor, after I wrap a few bands of masking tape to hold it in place.
Another tip: Before you clamp or wrap with tube, grease up a section of dowel to match the bore and the blow hole to keep the bore walls in alignment.
A common mistake is to align the blank and not the bore.
Just a thought.
Greg
Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to medicinedog

After seeing Greg's pipes I was all psyched to make me a pipe but wasn't sure how to go about it. Between Randy and Greg's post I just about have it figured out. Notice Greg's pipes don't have the bore going all the way through but rather a set of holes near the end. That really leaves it open for a lot of artistic expression.
I have a router table but never thought about a cove bit...duh, thanks Randy. What are the best diameters to make the bore and the finger holes. And is there a prefered spacing. Last question .. the two blanks, are they cut side to side or top to bottom or does it matter.(where is the glue line?) Thanks. Lar