Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Different approach to tool storage?

At the present time I have my tools at my bench, in open tilted racks. Since I leave the tools in the open racks when I am not carving, I worry about someone checking them out and getting cut. Recently I saw a small 4 drawer jewelry box on sale for about $7. I immediately began to think in terms of using these boxes for tool storage on the bench. I could use one, or set two or three side by side on the bench. Without purchasing any of the boxes I began to think that the tools in the drawers on the bench would be less accessible. Today I saw a free standing larger jewelry "armoire". These have 5 drawers and two side panels that swing open, pluse a top that opens. This unit is on sale for $37. I am thinking of purchasing one of the armoires to set beside my chair and bench. I will modify the side swing out units to hold tools. My thinking is that the armoire will be more accessible, drawers will be able to be closed with tools in them, give me more bench top, and provide more storage space.

Anyone ever use one of these jewelry boxes for tools?

Tom H
Old 11-17-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Different approach to tool storage?

It sounds like a good idea. I have the same problem. I keep my tools on the bench in in a home made lazy susan arrangement. But when my 5 year old autistic grandson comes unexpectedly....I have to quickly put everything away. I think I need to check out something like that.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:50 AM

I have a lot of them in a Lee Valley, tool roll, when I am carving, I just unroll it, when I am thru it gets rolled back up.....pretty convenient. One problem with it! When its rolled up, the knives can slide out of the pouch and fall out of the end of the roll....so my wife sewed a square of felt on the bottom of each side as a flap, the two flaps overlap and when rolled up, no way they can fall out!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Forum Mentor

tom,

with my always energetic 3 year old grand children i am always on guard and keeping an eye on him, if hes not in the display case playing cowboys with my carvings, hes looking for something else to get into,,, the grand daughter is an easter egg collector and different shapes and colors attract her so i can just envision her with a arm load of my palm chisels when i return from getting a kool-aid refill

iv'e had frequent thoughts of the bucket tool rack, modified to fit a 5 gallon bucket, with a lazy Susan bottom... on the removable rack,
thought of in first stages of planning

went to lowes and got a 1/8th sheet of Baltic birch 1/2 " 3 ply core plywood last night and 2, 1/2 x6x24" sections of popular as well as a lazy Susan bearing,

a 5 gallon bucket because it can provide you a stool if needed, or a place to carve over to collect chips.

the tool rack don't have to be as tall as the inside detention im thinking half the depth, which will allow 2 layers of rack and storage space under the tool rack for projects gloves hones or whatever..
im thinking the bottom section could be cut and a drawer installed if needed...

have had thought of a desk type rubber stamp tree (like at the dmv) as a palm tool holder using clear tubing sections clamped in the stamp holders to put the chisels in...
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Thumbs up Re: Different approach to tool storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomp
tom,

with my always energetic 3 year old grand children i am always on guard and keeping an eye on him, if hes not in the display case playing cowboys with my carvings, hes looking for something else to get into,,, the grand daughter is an easter egg collector and different shapes and colors attract her so i can just envision her with a arm load of my palm chisels when i return from getting a kool-aid refill

iv'e had frequent thoughts of the bucket tool rack, modified to fit a 5 gallon bucket, with a lazy Susan bottom... on the removable rack,
thought of in first stages of planning

went to lowes and got a 1/8th sheet of Baltic birch 1/2 " 3 ply core plywood last night and 2, 1/2 x6x24" sections of popular as well as a lazy Susan bearing,

a 5 gallon bucket because it can provide you a stool if needed, or a place to carve over to collect chips.

the tool rack don't have to be as tall as the inside detention im thinking half the depth, which will allow 2 layers of rack and storage space under the tool rack for projects gloves hones or whatever..
im thinking the bottom section could be cut and a drawer installed if needed...

have had thought of a desk type rubber stamp tree (like at the dmv) as a palm tool holder using clear tubing sections clamped in the stamp holders to put the chisels in...
Excellent ideas Thomas!

Herb
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM

I'm with Hi Ho! I use Flexcut tools and have a SMWC 14 slot canvas roll-up pouch which I keep in a zippered canvas bag. The grand kids know better than to mess with Papa's stuff. However, I also have a life long fetish for wooden tool boxes and if they weren't so darn heavy to haul around I'd have me one of the large mechinist's boxes that's sold by Harbor Frieght. When they go on sale they really aren't that expensive. As such, the jewelry box idea doesn't sound like a bad way to go.