Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 AM
A passion for carving

Default compact workbench

I did a search for compact workbenches here but there doesn't seem to be any post that I can locate. Perhaps I'm not putting in the right subject line. I'm investigating the Sjobergs compact workbench that Lee Valley carries. I'm wondering about its portability and stability. After doing a small workshop on the weekend, I found a good workbench is a necessity if the tables are not suited for carving. I was wondering if anyone on the board has one and could give me feedback, or if there is another compact/portable bench carvers would recommend. The Sjobergs compact bench and accessories seems to be a reasonable price when compared to other workbenches out there.
Patrick
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Default Re: compact workbench

Hey Patrick, I know that you know this. Benches with drawers and shelves that are used for heavy mallet work Yikes.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:59 PM

A distributor demonstrated a portable workbench by Stanley with storage, wheels and a four outlet plug distributor. But, when I went to the warehouse to check it out, it was WAY too wobbly for carving on. There is a carving roundup coming up end of March so I may pick up a Black and Decker Workmate WM425 at home depot or modify a three legged bar stool (sharpen the feet so I can pound them into the ground, bolt the Veritas Carving Vice to the seat) and maybe get a dolly to haul it all.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Patrick:
Here's one: Portable Carving*Bench Fiebig and Yundt Woodcarving

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM
A passion for carving

Hey Don and David - thanks for checking out the post. Don, I'm looking for a bare bones type of bench that is sturdy and portable. I may find myself asking someone to build me one out of some think oak.
David - be interested in seeing that converted stool with the vice
Patrick
Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 PM
A passion for carving

Claude - you must have just posted as I replied to Don and David. I'll check out the site you gave me - thanks.
Patrick
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Have you seen the one in the last issue of WCI? I am thinking of making one of those for warmer months ahead. I gotta get a few "honey do" projects done first ;-)
Old 02-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Check out the portable work bench in Chris Pye's book "Wood Carving Projects and Techniques".
Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM
A passion for carving

Don, I don't think I received the last issue as my subscription expired but I'll have a look for the magazine in the stores.
John, I did see the bench designed by Pye. Its a little larger then I would want for portability...if its the bench I recall seeing. I'll have to go back to that magazine issue and have another look.
If I can get a bench which can be taken apart and reassembled that would be ideal as I want to be able to transport it to different locations.
Thanks for your tips fella's. I'll be making a decision at some point.
Patrick
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Ozark Mountain Carver

I built my carving bench completely from 2x4 lumber from plans in a woodworking magazine whose name escapes me. I really wish I could fnd it so I could give them credit. Seems like I only have about $50 in the whole bench. I looked online for a copy of the article and couldn't find it, so here's my best description and a picture. The bench is 60 x 30 originally, but I added some 2x4 to the face edge to widen it for larger projects. I don't worry about screwing work directly to the bench and it doesn't move around - ever.

You get a flat top surface by running one edge of all your 2x4's for the top through a table saw or jointer to take off the rounded edges the mills leave. Glue, clamp, and drywall screw one board at a time together until your top is a wide as you want it. When I made mine I cut the wood to leave holes left for the insertion of 2x4 legs through and flush wth the top, but I would simply build a frame and attache the top with cleats if I were to do it over. I can beat on this table till the cows cme home and never do any serious damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03382.jpg (51.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03383.jpg (58.2 KB, 205 views)

Ozark Mountain Carver
Steve Smith
Bentonville, AR

Click Here for My Gallery

FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ste...81093671969836

Carvers Community page:
HTTP://www.facebook.com/Guest.Carver...er.Dollar.City