Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Carving in lots of different places

In another thread (Why you started carving) some posts mentioned that carving while commuting might not be appreciated. This can also be expanded to carving in doctors, dentist offices, your own office, lunch rooms, diners, etc. I carve where ever I can. Here's a tip! First, carve small items! Try smaller Santa ornaments and pins. I usually don't complete some of the items while carving at home. I'll leave the details till later. These uncompleted small items go into my pocket with my pocket knife; when I am out and about. I can now detail and finish the carvings where ever I am. The few chips that result are picked off my lap and put into my pocket. Under weird places to carve; here's my latest. Had to go to a funeral home for a showing. Had to be there for a while. Out came the knife and a few unfinished wizards. Before long I had several young kids sitting in front of me watching. They each got a wizard, and I got thanks from the parents. You can carve anywhere! Just keep it small and clean up after yourself.

Tom H
Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Carving in lots of different places

Tom H... Like you I plan ahead. I always have a few blanks of small items cut out so that if I know that I'm going to be sitting awile I'll throw them, my knife and my glove in a pocket before I leave the house.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Senior Moment

Knew of an elderly gentleman who carved while he was, well, sitting doing his daily business. Hmmm, Now that is going a little to far. Or is it?
Guess I am a messy carver as I can't help from having chips all over the place.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 07-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Ya darn sure wouldn't want the knife to slip in that situation, would ya?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Might need a kevlar body suite. Smile

Dave