Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Default carving gouges

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of Speedball carving gouges? Who made these and if they would be any good ? I thank you Motorcycle
Old 01-13-2008, 11:41 PM

Default Re: carving gouges

Speedball makes tools for doing block printing. I have used them to cut the linoleum to make the prints. They may work for wood.

Patrick Chandler
www.chandlerwoodcarving.com

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/gallery/member.php?uid=2384&protype=1
Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 PM

Speedball gouges are made for cutting linoleum oe rubber for block printing and are not sharpened or honed for wood. That said, I have a #2 V gouge mounted in a permanent handle and, after honing and stropping, it works great on basswood, willow, and other "soft" woods.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM

Errol, They work really well carving bark. You can get some really small ones and they get into tight places. Have fun. Mike
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM

Cool Re: carving gouges

Errol,
I don't know if they still make them, there are still some around. I bought a brand new set of 5 palm tools. I found them at a carving show a few years ago. I am going to keeping it new.
I'll give it to one of my grandchildren.....the v-tool is still with me they are very good tools.

artolver
Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 AM

They remind me of "Xacto" type stuff....thin metal, stamped.....I don't particularly care for them...imho
Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 AM
the WOOD BEE CARVER

The larger set of five carving tools, (3/4 inch # 4; V; U; Skew; Straight chisel) with fixed wooden fat cigar shaped handles are made in Sheffield, England and are of good quality, sometimes available at antique/flea markets, sometimes on EBay around $45. The block printing tools are available at art stores, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. with blades that fit into a chucked handle that also holds other blades. Sometimes at flea market/antique store one can find the wooden handled chuck with Speedball blades. They are good for some types of carving the key is to try them out, expirement and remember there is "No tool" that fits all carving tasks and one brand is not any better than the other providing they are sharpened properly. Simply sharpen up the tool and if you use it, it will get dull and if you let is lie around in your tool box or tool rack moisture condensation will rust the cutting edge first (that is why it is always a good idea to always strop any tool before you begin to carve with it) Inactivity, be it for tools or for the carver causes "rust" so get busy and carve something and learn to sharpen your tools.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM

I had to erase this message. When I posted the Dick Blick web site I cam up with a glass vase at Ebay.

The speed ball tools can be obtained at the great art store called Dick Blick. I would post a link buy I am getting sick from mysurgery. Srorry about that

Oh good, I can edit. I am back. my 3 hours surgery last Friday did me in.

You can find Dick blick on line. They sell other art carving tools for engraving, clay etc. I buy many of my art supplies for my architectural work there. I have been buying form them for over 20 years and never had a problem. If you need pait for your carvings and art work, Tis is a great place. I get student and staff discounts through the university. If you are taking any classes in highschool or collage you can get a discount.

Last edited by ChrisS; 02-07-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 PM

You can get them at craft stores like Pearls.replaceble tips .v tips and gouges.are very cheap. Great for cutting hair.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen them at Hobby Lobby also. With the art supplies.

Try Open Office, It's Free
http://www.openoffice.org/