Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Default Carving bench hooks

Another message board member asked me to post some photos of the bench hook and tool holder I use for my sit-down carving. I also made a flat version that travels better. The angled bench hook is 18" wide by 21" deep, with mostly 1/2'" diameter holes, but they're sized to match the metal ferrule on the gouges (some are 5/8" and a few are 3/4"). The holes are 1 1/2" on center and the rows are 1 1/2" apart and staggered. The foam covering is carpet pad that I glue on with contact cement. Non-skid drawer liner works well to but isn't as durable as the carpet pad. I glue the drawer liner on the bottom of the bench hook to keep it from sliding and scratching the table top.

I make the bench hooks from scrap counter-top material from the local DIY's. The bottom support piece is cut from the counter-top and attached with wood screws before the carpet pad is glued on the top. Plywood works fine too, but the "hook" is already on the counter-top, so it saves a step. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000606.jpg (66.4 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg P1000607.jpg (59.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg P1000609.jpg (47.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg P1000604.jpg (62.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P1000605.jpg (63.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Carving bench hooks

What a great idea, Mike! I always enjoy seeing how others make use of materials they have lying around. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Default Carving bench hooks

Nice bench hooks. You've done a great job. I suspect they work the best with relief carvings. I made a small one some time ago, but I haven't used it often, since I tend to carve little caricatures that I hold in my hand. Still the carving board (as I call it) sits astride my tool tote to hold gouges and v-tools while I'm working outside or at a table. I've grown rather fond of it. Here is a picture of the carving board atop my tool tote, with five little people.

I've started painting the little folk since I took the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Five little guys on Deck.jpg (80.5 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Rodster; 12-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.