Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving Tips and Techniques
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Wood Carving Tips and Techniques

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Forum Mentor

Default bending living wood for cane handles

i have always looked for the oddity in nature when hunting a stick for making a walking cane, the strange damage grown over or the strangled sapling by a vine, wind bent or some tree growing out of an inbankment making a 90 degree bend.

since the bending of saplings and letting them grow bent in pre shaped crooks has been the topic of some discussions here on the form i'm forced to leave this link now because i can never find it when were talking on this subject,

AMAZING TREES

i dont know how its preformed but this topic has been raised on occasion, on this link there is some amusing work done on living trees...

it can be done
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: bending living wood for cane handles

I have seen this done with "Fruitless Mulberrys" but never with any other tree. I can remember when my dad was working in a packing shed West of Porterville, Calif, "WILLIAMS RANCH", during the war and they used China Berry trees to graft onto in their research for the better peach. I guess anything is possible...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 PM

That is what I would like to try . Thomas the link you posted didn't have anything but pictures do you know what the web address is ? I would like to see more or learn more about this.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Forum Mentor

lots of info on google just search "amazing trees gilroy ca."

found a lot of links but nothing specific on how, it was a family secrete or something...

check out the botanical sites for tree grafting

thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to wade clark

I think if you cut two trees, young, standing beside each other, in two lengthwise, tie them together, cambium to cambium, and if they're the same kind of tree they'll heal and grow together. I have two plums planted beside each other that I intend to graft in a similar crazy way this Summer. Ask me next year
Wade
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Forum Mentor

probobaly more here than you want to know

link click here
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2007, 12:41 PM

Hmmm, I have some alder saplings coming up in back, maybe I'll go twist them around and see what they look like in a couple of years.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Forum Mentor

i been thinking of planting 3 oak sapplins in a pot, so i could get the roots closer togather, then when they got healthy and well rooted to braid them, as they growed,
well maybe not oak becuse its so slow growing,
but you get the idea,
good potting soil and jobe spikes and weeding should have it root bound in one season if the thing is in a gallon pot or coffee can.. then transplant to a well drained spot.

dont know if trees work the same as inside ivy vines, bit i give my ivys a cup oc black cold coffee once a week, and a jobe spike once a month, with this continued over the summer the ivy will take over the room, so dumping coffee grounds might make the same effect on a strangling vine on a sapplin.

in the louisiana woods, we got a hard growth, olive green vine here that is hard as bamboo,(we call it trip vine)
if you gould find some of that and start it next to an early sapplin bout pencil size and tightly wrap the sapplin it should strangle the sapplin tree as it all expands, and impress a good spirial into the tree,
hummm,
bing! Idea thinking on this i got some really heavy copper wire i have, i took off of a replacment telephone pole. i used when i made my pole barn, with that inside a old cheep section of garden hose i should be able to bend or strangle one of them caltoba or sycamores that took over my garden.
i cant phisically garden anymore so ill raise walking sticks...
or at least experiment...
thomp51la@gmail.com