Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Off Topic
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Off Topic

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Shipping a walking stick..

How do some of you people find a shipping container long enough to ship a 60 inch walking stick ? Would anybody know who to buy one from ? The longest one our us post carries is about thirtey six inches . I know 60 inches is long but i want him to be able to cut it off to his own length. Thank you for any help you may provide....... Dan........Thank You
</IMG>
Old 12-26-2007, 03:41 PM
WhittleBear Carver

Default Re: Shipping a walking stick..

I just started making 48" long hiking sticks, and I was wondering about that, too. I figured I'd probably end up buying a piece of pvc pipe from HD or Lowes, and pack the ends with packing material and then packing tape. The price might not be the best for a shipping tube--$5.51 for 10' of 2" pvc pipe, but that's all I could think of.

Bob L

Last edited by Just Carving; 12-26-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM

I have found the best thing to ship walking sticks in are carpet tubes. I contact local carpet retailers/distributors, and they are happy to save the tubes for me. Sometimes In a pinch I drive behind the stores and find the tubes in the trash hoppers. I have found these cardboard tubes in lenths up to 12 feet. I use a hand saw and cut to desired lengths. PVC caps (the 5-inch caps) work real nice for sealing the ends of the tubes. I also like to use bubble paper wrapped around the walking stick before packing the stick in the tube. Bob, the nice thing about the carpet tubes are their free and much lighter then PVC, which cuts down on the shipping charges. Keeping the over-all length of the packaged under 60-inches greatly decrease's the shipping costs also. Hope this helps.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark Gargac; 12-26-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Mark is right, I contacted a local flooring company and he gave me a couple of tubes , then when my neighbor put hardwood floors down, the trim came in tubes...I just cut off what I need and stick the extra in the rafters for future mailings....I made end caps out of cardboard cut to shape and duct taped them on (what else ) cram some wadded up newspapers in around the stick on each end and it will ship with no problems. I received one stick with a tag taped to it...lol but wouldn't recommend doing that with a finished stick!
Old 12-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi Guys,

Two other sources I know of are: Ski Shops. They have boxes plenty long enough to ship a 60" stick. They get ski's in them.
The other is golf shops - not as long, but they get clubs in nice boxes for sticks.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Muffy
Just ask for two of the 36" one from you post office and tape them end to end.The post office has the Triangle ones for free.I shipped one about a month ago and thats what i did.
windsong
Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

I ask my friendly neighbourhood drug store to save me a couple of boxes that their walking sticks/canes come in and re-use them. If I'm stuck, I'll make my own from a bigger box, or any cardboard carton I can find big enough and cut it down.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 AM

Thank You All For Your Help..this Board Is The Place To Come If Ones Stuck With A Problem. I Was Really Stumped And You People Came To My Rescue.. Thank You All Again, For Your Help .... Dan....