Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Off Topic
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Off Topic

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
spot

Send a message via MSN to sccarnes
Default how long to cure or dry wood

about 8 months ago my neighbor lost a large cherry tree, it was cut up and has been sitting , he brought over some knots and branch sections, all covered with mud and such, i power washed the pieces and painted the ends,
my question, what would be the proper way to cut the sections, i do not have a chain saw, or do i lest the pieces sit for a while longer, i would guess this is where burl comes from?
and i know some of the carvers use this kind of wood, so let me know and we will get er done
SAM
Old 08-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Re: how long to cure or dry wood

I don't think you have to leave it sit any longer. I harvest all my own wood and often work with cherry. I usually allow close to a year for drying. If the tree was felled and cut up 8 months ago the wood should be dry enough that you can carve it without worrying about further splitting. As to the proper way to cut sections, that would depend on what it is that you want to carve from it. Decide on a project, figure out the size and general shape of the piece of wood you need for it, and cut it. Since you don't have a chain saw, I would recommend a good brush cutting bow saw. I hope I've been of some help. Good luck with it.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:34 PM
spot

Send a message via MSN to sccarnes

thanks david.
guess i was looking to cut it , but , i would hate to do the wood wrong.
is the split where it branches off , is that the burl part, or is burl a large knot?
so save the split or not>
me i got all the cherry i need for a while,
thought some one would want this section.
sam
got pictures, but got to reduce the size to load on site?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Burl is a knot, but not just a not formed by a branch.....it's usually on the trunk and seen as a growth deformation.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Knife Nerd

Sam there are not burls on every tree. Burls on some trees are very rare. Burls are growths that occur where branches started but didn't develop and result in a growth on the tree. You do get some swirly pretty grain where branches were and this area is often very tough to work because of the grain direction is radical. Hope this helps.

Corey

Visit My Website at:
http://theiowacarver.blogspot.com/

Friend My On Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/challagan1

Old 08-09-2008, 04:54 PM

If there is any burl present it will generally show up as deformed lump that sticks out from the normal surface line of the trunk and is easily recognized. If this is wild cherry, that is a wood that very often produces burls but unless the tree is very large they are generally too small to be useful to turners or carvers.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Unless you've got power carving equipment I'd save the knots for later. As for the branches, if they are in fact fully dried and not too thick in diameter you can probably cut them with a good carpenter's saw, especially one of the new variety patterned after a Japanese saw that cuts on the pull.