Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Author questions
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Author questions

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default The Star in the Cottonwood Tree

Inside each cottonwood branch is a little star. If you cut a 3/4" branch from a cottonwood tree with a saw, you will find a little star in the center of that branch. According to Native American legend, a curious little star once hid in the cottonwood tree so it could always be near the people on Earth and listen to their beautiful music, the laughter and the kind words they say to one another.

I always find that some of the Native stories are quite interesting. They talk about where I grew up as a boy in Washburn, ND which is about seven miles down the Missouri River from Ft. Mandan. For you history buffs, this is where Lewis and Clark spent their first winter on their journey. The cottonwoods provided them with a fort and firewood and large logs for their dugout canoes that the Mandan and Hidatsa people helped them build. The trees offered places to hunt and fish for food. The young branches and tender bark provided feed for the horse and medicine for the people. The branches from the cottonwoods were used for fires that kept them warm and cooked their food.

I find it quite interesting that today there is still a small grove just south of Washburn that has some 250 to 350 year old cottonwood trees in it. These trees were growing at the time that Lewis and Clark with in North Dakota. I do gather bark out in that general area occasionally. If you're ever out that way, make sure to stop at the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center in Washburn and you will see a large cottonwood log canoe and it has rather large bark on the unfinished portions of it.

On Lewis and Clark's journey West, they also encountered the Yellowstone River in Montana and explored that. There's alot of cottonwood in that area as well. It's my opinion that the cottonwoods contributed much to the success of the expedition.

Rick Jensen a.k.a. Bark Boy
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Star in the Cottonwood Tree

Very nice read.
Thanks,
Thor
Old 12-16-2005, 06:54 PM

Hi Rick, I agree a very nice read indeed. Very near my home is a large stand of cottonwood trees. I've been meaning to go gleen some fallen braches to carve woodspirits. The Hopi and Navajo here in Arizona create Kachinas from the cottonwood root.
Merry Christmas,
Kathy

My WCI Carver Gallery Images
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...3480&protype=1
The Flute Portal
http://www.fluteportal.com

Back Roads and Tall Trees
Old 12-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Hugh Send a message via MSN to Hugh Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh

Test for posting
Old 12-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Rick Jensen -- I remember those North Dakota days. Weren't they BEFORE Lewis and Clark? I learned to carve in North Dakota.

Nancy Goff
Old 12-17-2005, 08:42 PM

test..... hummm must be your settings Kathy, I didn't have any trouble posting here?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 AM

Thank you for sharing that! Cottonwood Bark is quickly becoming one of my favourites to carve.