Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Author questions
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
Author questions

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Technical Editor

Default Questions for Cam Merkle or Razertip

any questions here for master bird carver Cam Merkle, president of Razertip Industries (Woodburning and dust collection equipment).

Last edited by BobD; 04-19-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Wood Carving Pattern Make

Default Re: Questions for Cam Merkle or Razortip

HI Cam,

My kind and loving hubby, Michael, got me a D-10 Razortip for my Christmas present this year and I love it! After years and years of using a solid tip, one temperature tool I was stunned by the difference. In fact, most of my winter months were spent "playing with that wood burner" instead of doing my regular job I am just a very happy camper here and wanted to say "Thank You!"

Susan Irish

Talk with me directly through LSIrish.com Contact Form.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Wood Carving Pattern Make

Cam,

I though you might like to see a sample using your very nice burner. This was my first, I started it on Christmas day.

I sumbitted this one to Fox Chapel and they were pleased enough with it that they are featuring the burning and line pattern is the up-coming issue of Wood Carvers Illustrated. I believe that the mag is doing several articles just of wood burning ... you'll have to talk with BobD to discover who all is featured.

Again, Thanks !!!!

Susan Irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grandpas-2.jpg (58.2 KB, 387 views)

Talk with me directly through LSIrish.com Contact Form.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Technical Editor

Hey everyone,

I moved most of these posts to the new Pyrography Forum--I'm trying to keep the author questions posts as on-topic as I can. The authors don't have a lot of time--and asked me to kinda filter this stuff!
Bob
Old 01-29-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Questions for Cam Merkle or Razertip

Hi,
I have a model SS-D SN 00690 Razertip burner. Just wondering what kind of problem I have. It doesn't always heat up properly. If I twist the plugs that go into it back and forth a couple times, it seems to make better contact and start working. It does the same with all the pens I have. Have you got an idea what is going on? Thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 AM

Thats nothing Don! just grab a mouse and wipe the ends of the plugs down..........err small piece of fine sandpaper! Red Face
Old 01-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Hugh Send a message via MSN to Hugh Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh

Don, just a suggestion, my pens do much the same thing from time to time. Try a very fine sandpaper, clean both the male and female part of the connection, on the pen and the cord, both ends. It should make the difference. One more thing, the wires inside the cord might be broken, making a connection when you move them. Try putting a new end on the cord, or buy a spare cord, and try it. You will need an extra sooner or later.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 AM

The problem you desribe happens from time to time. Most often the pen cord is the culprit. There are several things you can try. 1. "flip" the cord end-for-end. Sometimes the connectors fit a bit better one way over the other. 2. Try another cord. If the problem still persists, and is present on all of your pens, then the problem is likely with an output jack on your burner; it will need to be replaced. These problems are very infrequent, and they are always the result of poor contact. The trick is finding the source of poor contact. If your connectors are dirty (or dusty) you can clean them with a pencil eraser. I don't recommend sandpaper because it will eventually wear through the nickel plating on the plug. Also, you have to be careful when replacing a plug yourself. It is crucial that you buy a high-quality machined plug, solder over any crimped contacts on the plug, and be sure that the solder conncetions are solid, properly flowed, and well isolated from each other. Finally, if the problem persists, you can send us the whole set (all pens and cords along with your power supply) and we will get it taken care of.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Don, I noticed after writing my first reply that your burner is quite old (ser #00690 was made in January of 1993). It is very likely that the jacks need to be replaced. Your best bet is to send everything in to us. If you are stll using the original cord, it is probably one that has moulded plugs (unlike the machined plugs that I talked about in the previous message). We would likley replace all plugs and jacks on the burner and cord, as well as check the contact on all of your pens. Also, unless your burner has been upgraded, it would only have a 3 amp transformer. We could retrofit your power supply to 10 amps for a flat fee of only $30.00 including any applicable shipping and taxes. The 10 amp upgrade would include jack replacement. You might want to buy a new cord or two as the cordage we are now using is alot more flexible than the one you currently have. If you went the upgrade route and replaced your cord(s), you would essentailly have a new unit and you would notice a big difference in the tip heat recovery and quite likely much better handpiece comfort.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Hugh Send a message via MSN to Hugh Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh

Wow, I have a ten amp unit, but my old 3 amp burner could use the upgrade. Is this deal for anyone??