Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Memorial
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Memorial To Jerry Goar

A Shared Santa

Hello Friends:

Early in July 2010 our carving club the Prescott Wood Bee Carvers lost a Dear friend and fellow carver Jerry Goar. He was such presence in our club always there to help a new or experienced carver. Jerry was President of our club for several years and active in getting our club out into the Community.

Jerry was a wonderful woodcarver and human being and we miss him dearly. Jerry donated his carving tools to the club to use when teaching new carvers how to carve. That is so much like Jerry to not want any thing sold, but to use to help others.

Just a few days before Jerry passed away some of our club members picked up Jerry's tools. In his workshop were some boxes with wood destined to go along with the tools was a small unfinished carving. Originally it was handed over by Jerry's wife Marty to Tom Burke another fine carver and friend to finish.

Tom called me a few days later and ask me if I'd finish it for Marty. I told Tom he should finish it and would do a fine job. Tom said that I should be the one to finsh it. So I told Tom that I would be honored.

It was bitter sweet to be working on Jerry's carving. So many times while working on the carving I could still here Jerry calling me Kath his AKA for me.
Jerry had all but completed the carving part it just really needed to be cleaned up and painted. I tried not to disturb Jerry original knife and gouges cuts, but only to clean up the chips and fuzzys.

I hope Mark Gargac will see this Santa as Jerry had taken one of Mark's workshops at Creed, CO.

Jerry's carving is ready for a tearful return to his loving wife and partner Marty.
God bless you Jerry my friend,

Sincerely,
Kathy Robbins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoarRobbinswci.jpg (57.7 KB, 42 views)

My WCI Carver Gallery Images
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...3480&protype=1
The Flute Portal
http://www.fluteportal.com

Back Roads and Tall Trees

Last edited by Mottles; 07-20-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 AM
One Chip At A Time

Default Re: Memorial To Jerry Goar

Kath,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Jerry. That was a very nice gesture finishing his final carving, looks great and I'm sure that Marty will love and cherish it. May your friend rest in peace.
Dan
Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM

A very touching tribute to a man I wish I'd known.

I could only hope I make a fraction of that impact on folks.

Great carving Jerry, and fabulous paint job "Kath"
Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 AM
knot locator

A very noble gesture and my condolences to his family and friends .
Old 08-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Kathy........very sorry to hear about Jerry's passing....I only met him the couple of times I was at the meetings.......I have no doubt his involvement in the group will be sorely missed!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm sorry to hear of Jerrys passing, and my condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends. fred k
Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 AM

Kathy:
What a touching tribute, and a honor to a woodcarver to be asked to finish this, well done, please pass on our condolensces.