Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 07:43 AM

Smile Newbie from Missouri

Good morning all. Looks like a really neat site and glad I found you all out here. I have been carving for about a year, and am really interested in finding some classes where I can learn more. Anyone know of classes in the South Central Missouri area. I am not far from Springfield, Missouri and can travel there if anyone knows of a class. I love doing spirit faces (have completed 2) and am "stuck" at the moment. Need some instructions and there is nothing in my area. I belong to a club out here, but really would like some classes. If anyone has any suggestions, either post here or write me at my email ... smergles@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance and happy carving to you all!

J
Old 08-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Member OBCA

Thumbs up Re: Newbie from Missouri

Welcome aboard. This is a great site with alot of helpful people. The best thing I can tell you as far as a club is do a internet search ( woodcarving clubs/Missouri). That is what I would do.Ron
www.Blindartistsociety.com
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy
Default Re: Newbie from Missouri

Welcome. On the subject of classes, do a search "woodcarving rendezvous" and take a look at Rendezvous II (held the last week of Oct). I know that most of the classes fill well in advance; but, now and then they do have openings in caricature carving. This would fit in with your interest in spirit carving. Then there is the Woodcarvers Rendezvous (held the first week of June). Both of these sessions are at Compton Ridge Campground which is just outside of Branson.

Also go to the Ozark Mountain Woodcarvers site and check into the spring seminar (held the first of March). There are about 35 different classes held at Silver Dollar City.

You might check the Silver Dollar City website as they also have classes. These are shorter than the Rendezvous and Seminar and may be of more immediate interest to you.

In the meantime, the web has developed as an amazing resource. You will find a lot of assistance on this board. Using written descriptions, referring you to books and magazines and the second most amazing development, the digital camera, a lot of help can be offered to folks in remote locations.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 08-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Smile Re: Newbie from Missouri

Welcome:
I'm new too! As you can see and I have found folks are really helpful on this site. Lot's of information and experience here.
Kathy

My WCI Carver Gallery Images
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...3480&protype=1
The Flute Portal
http://www.fluteportal.com

Back Roads and Tall Trees
Old 08-16-2005, 08:19 AM

Hi Smergles, Welcome, it's good to have you with us! Don't hesitate to ask us anything. I've always found someone will have the answer or point me in the right direction to find it. We'll look forward to seeing some pictures of your work when you're ready to share....again....Welcome! Callynne
Old 08-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Hi amd welcome to the boards!
I am a new carver as well, I started in May. And have been lost in never never land every since.
You said your stuck, perhaps if you explain how someone here might be able to help or point you in the right direction.
Pleasue to have you and welcome again.

Ash
Old 08-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Welcome J. Great to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as we do. A great bunch of folks here!

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 08-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Moment

Welcome to a great board.

You said your were stumped. How so?

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

hi welcome to the group.you have come to the right place.

if your stuck just ask a question and you'll get some answers. i live in an area that has very little in the way of carving lessons,the closest would require a 2-3 hour drive oneway. so the folks on this board have become my instructors.

Frank
Old 08-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Hello and welcome, Neighbor,
I am in Southwest Missouri and am in Springfield regularly. I've found that the Camdenton, Bolivar and Kimberling City area clubs have regular workshops on carving--usually with specific themes or projects. The Springfield and Camdenton club have carving classes for beginners 2-3 times a year. So, if you'd like to email me personally, I'll give you some contact names, addresses, phone numbes, etc. I, too, must drive at least a couple of hours to get to instruction--but sometimes, especially at the beginning, it was well worth it to be able to talk to and learn from someone else.

I've also participated in the Wood Carving Rendezvous at Compton Ridge at Branson -- and the one at Silver Dollar City. If you don't have their contact info, likewise, let me know and I'll provide it. They both have spring and fall week-long workshops that are an awesome place to start. The very first carving workshop I took was from Harold Enlow and the second was at Compton Ridge.

In the meantime, this is a great site to get questions answered. As you have time, read older postings on specific topics that interest you. Good stuff.

Again, we're so glad you're here--come often and stay long!
Donna T