Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg
Default Message from ...birds?

Maybe I've been up too long or someone tampering with those cigars I enjoy from time to time......but birds seem to be trying to tell me something?

Yesterday I picked up my daughter from school (she broke her foot and needs help with books et all) so we went for an ice cream. We sat and enjoyed the sun (first we've seen the sun in 29 days) and the ice cream, I had the feeling of being watched. The bench we were sitting on next to the ice cream stand is about 50 meters from the river bank, and the ground between is an open field with a couple of isolated trees at the edge. I kept looking around to see what or who was watching me....no I'm not paranoid, Smile and finally looked up into the tree at the edge of the river. There sat a full grown adult Bald Eagle, looking directly at me. You never see them in town here, up river yes, but never in the city area. He or she sat there staring as only they can, even when a pair of crows came by to bug it. We eventually finished our ice cream and left, Eagle still there watching us ........I never have my camera when I really need it.

Later, in the afternoon, my wife and I went to a garden shop to pick out some flowers for our yard. Into the greenhouses we go and she was off gathering whatever while I smelled the roses. Again I get this feeling....of being watched! I turn around and there about arms length away at eye level is a hummingbird! Just hovering there looking at me......so close I could see his tail feathers splayed out to balance itself , wings beating furiously. For the count of maybe 3 seconds he remained then flew off to taste a bunch of flowers up and down the greenhouse, then back to stop in front of me again, and then zipped out the side opening to the outside! I've never seen one so close or inside a greenhouse.

Anyway, I picked out a rose that intregued me, (a scent the isn't "rose like" at all, flower is magnificant, called Countess Celeste) and my wife a cart load of plants and off we go home.

We are in the back yard looking at where to position this new rose and checking out the new stone planter we had constructed this week, when three crows arrive. All three sit on the power line behind the house and are watching us. Then they start "bobbing" their heads and squaking! Maybe they like the rose too....who knows. But all of these unusual bird behaviours are beginning to freak me out. Are they trying to tell me something? Maybe I'm just loosing it! I haven't carved for a few days, so I had better get back to it....maybe that's what's wrong and the birds are trying to tell me! Who knows? The birds at our feeders are fine, we have three families of American Gold Finchs (Wild Canary) nesting in our trees again, nice to see them at the feeders. Of course they all talk to us anyway....but that's normal.

Just another day in paradise!

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s

Last edited by squbrigg; 06-09-2005 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Message from ...birds?

Sounds like a great day.

But the eagle probley wanted your ice cream, the Humming brid was complaining you stole his flower, and the crows were having a meeting about the finches eating everything at the feeder.

But still sounds like a nice afternoon.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
WhittleBear Carver

I'm glad there wasn't a woodpecker following you. Otherwise, I'd say it was a spy trying to steal secrets to how you carve all those great canes you've been carving!

Bob

(On second thought, maybe it was, and he was working undercover for a jealous carver! LOL)

Last edited by Just Carving; 09-20-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:05 AM

Ummm shades of twilight zone!! If I were you I would start carving........birds! LOL..Actually, those birds all come to town once a week for the comedy of errors program called "watching humans"! ha ha