Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg
Default Interesting day along the river.

Yesterday morning as I was carving, I was interrupted by a telephone call from a friend who wanted to take me canoeing. I am so glad that I did! The carving is there awaiting my return, but some time on the river this time of year is "restorative".

We were greeted within the first 15 min. by a mature beaver who approached us within paddle distance and attempted to lead us away from her den. Amaizing.........to peer into those eyes, you could almost feel her tension, but we continued on our paddle (he did all the paddling I just enjoyed the trip) and were not drawn away, so she slapped her tail sharply and dove for home.

We turned a little bend and above us we saw an immature Bald Eagle testing his/her wings. There was a breeze around the bend and the eagle was soaring on the updrafts. It was joined by a second immature eagle and they soared above us. All at once they came together , locked talons and tumbled from the sky, hundreds of feet down, untill they approached the ground close enough, and seperated to soar up again! I had heard of this activity, but never had the privilage to witness it. Those two youngsters were joined by a third youngster and as we continued around the bend to the cove, out comes a mature Bald Eagle, from the direction of the nest, which had just come into view. The cove was covered in ducks, seagulls, cormorants, marganzers, etc , but they were oblivious to the eagles display. The adult bird reached a big old White Pine along the shore line and perched there looking down at us as we approached her, puffing her self up as if to say: "Look what my kids can do!"

We watched their antics for close to a half hour before finally turning for home. Ain't the world a marvelous place!

I know this has nothing to do with carving, except that it is those sorts of things that inspire folks to carve and I am just happy that I was able to enjoy the display

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beaver mom.jpg (16.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg soaring young eagles.jpg (7.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg eagle mom or dad.jpg (72.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg eagle stare.jpg (62.5 KB, 98 views)

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s

Last edited by squbrigg; 05-05-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Interesting day along the river.

Bob, what a great trip you had, I'm envious!! Thank you so much for sharing the photos and the tale of your canoe trip. I can't imagine seeing so much all in one day! How much fun it must have been, bet you came back to the carving, as you said, 'restored' in spirit! Thanks again for sharing! Callynne
Old 05-05-2005, 09:05 AM

Bob, sounds like you need to get a job like the rest of us!!! (LOL!)

Cool pictures!
Blogging about it at...
http://anthonyfiletti.blogspot.com/

Direct link to my Woodcarving Illustrated Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2685
Old 05-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Dave Brock

Bob; You are hereby granted one off-topic posting for each walking cane that you agree to carve and share with us!! I must borrow Callynne's famous grin on this one...Talking

Sounded like some really quality time you had.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Old 05-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Thanks Lighteningbolt, you're all heart! Smile Getting back on the water is resotrative to me, lightens the spirit. Everyone has their "connection".....some it's music, some it's a scent, some it's the desert or the woods, with me it's salt water. Can't live far from it, it's in the genes.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Bob I took that trip with you almost as if I were there. I have done the trip many times and it sure makes you appreciative of nature. Unfortunatley we dont have the bald eagles here in this part of Ontario. I will however be heading to Campbell River in June and I am always in awe of the Bald Eagles in flight either fighting or fishing or just riding the wind currents. The people of Campbell River are always amazed at how much time I spend watching them and as they say they take them for granted and never pay them a second glance. I know this has nothing to do with carving but it has to do with life and that is what inspires me to carve. Thank you Bob for the trip I enjoyed it very much and the pictures were worth a thousand words.
Colin
Old 05-06-2005, 08:52 PM

Bob,
Don't know how to explain it but all I know is that I am all choked up after reading your story. I can feel it as if I was there. I've had similar times and probably never shared them until later in life. I too am drawn to the water and the woods and a day with either is like a weeks vacation. I like to believe that when I am the only one seeing some part of nature that it is a special show put on just for me. Even if it is a single oak leaf trembling in the breeze. Makes me humble to think the Creator would take time to awe and sometimes amuse me. Thank you for sharing your special gift!!
Bill K.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Doc

Thumbs up Re: Interesting day along the river.

I don't live in an area that is as scenic as the Miramichi area, but here on Long Island we have some rivers and stream. I belong to a Fresh Water Fishing club and our property is on one of the larger rivers, the Peconic. Now I love to fish but just for the fun of it I take my 12' Kayak and paddle the river and all of its' little side ponds and the amount of wildlife I can surprise is of constant amazement, of course the fishing is good most of the time as well. It's refreshing to just silently paddle about rather than cruising with an electric motor on a jon-boat. It's surprising how restful that can be after a cold depressing winter.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM

Thanks, Bob, for the pleasant interlude. I'll bet your friend didn't know how many of us he was carrying along in that canoe! I never see a baldie without a great deal of awe, and in winter, we see a lot of them.
Sandy
Old 05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Technical Editor

Bob,

Now we see the real you--a true poet hiding beneath the cigar chomping, boat building exterior!

Thank you my friend for sharing! It brightened my day!

Bob