Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Howdy!

Well - I already posted in some other threads before seeing this "New Member" section. Just wanted to introduce myself. Great forum you have going here! Lot's of knowledge & talent!

My name is Rick, from the outside of Chicago... I work as a designer and carver in the sign industry - mainly restaurants and pubs. Stylewise I'm very into Celtic motifs (I do a lot of carving for a very well known Irish Brewery whose name starts with a G - for pubs in North America) but I'm trying to break into other architectural styles as well. I don't ususally have much free time to spend on stuff for fun. But when work is a little slow I like to surf for new ideas - and low and behold, I stumbled across this forum! I had been to the WCI site before but missed the forum... so here I am.

Looking forward to learning from ya'll - and hope I can share a little of what I've learned over the years.

peace, rales
Old 04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg
Default Re: Howdy!

Welcome aboard Rick/Rales, it is always nice to see another carver who enjoys Celtic designs with us. You have entered a wonderful family of carvers here, I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I do. You will find every level of carver from beginner to expert, in this gang, and all have been very generous with their time, friendship, encouragement and sharing of their knowledge. Enjoy.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
WhittleBear Carver

Welcome Rick.

I started with an interest in incised sign carving a few months back. I have done a few small plaques--nothing to write home about. I am learning about other areas of carving too. Right now, I am into tool making. I started a bit of raised lettering but got busy making tools. Hope to get back to it soon.

I'm also a civil/structural draftsman by trade--both hand and computer aided. Do you design your sign layouts with CAD or by hand?

Look forward to seeing/hearing you around. The forum has a lot to offer and can be fun too.

Bob
Old 04-29-2005, 06:32 AM

Welcome Rick, glad to have you aboard.

From one who grew up outside that toddlin' town its great to have you on board!! So are you a fan of the Northsiders or Southsiders??? (he-he)

Tony
Blogging about it at...
http://anthonyfiletti.blogspot.com/

Direct link to my Woodcarving Illustrated Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2685
Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 AM

Hi Rick, I'd like to add my Welcome also, nice to actually 'meet' you! As you've already discovered, this is a great board with lots of terrific, helpful people! We'll look forward to hearing from you and seeing some pictures of your work too. Again, welcome! Callynne
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

May also extend my welcome to the message board sounds like you have a wealth of experience I hope you wouldnt mind sharing some of it with us. How about posting a couple of pictures of your artistry we would all love to see them. Again welcome you will certainly be an asset to the board.
Colin
Old 04-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Technical Editor

Welcome Rick,

As a devoted drinker of "G" I welcome you even more! I carve some Celtic stuff--not very well--but would love to see your work!

If there is anything I can do for you, let me know!

Bob Duncan
Wood Carving Illustrated
Old 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM

Thanks all for your kind welcome!

Got a few things for you to look at http://www.picturetrail.com/rales... as you can see I've got a market for tap boxes Some times it seems I'm stuck in a groove - hard to get out. But then when things slow down I can't wait for the next one. I do most of these through a beverage system distributor (they house Guinness parts in NA) Usual way it works is they call me with a name of a client - I do 6-10 designs to choose from - including their logo if they have one... and to answer your question Bob - I use CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator mostly... If I need to plot stuff - it's easy to export out of those.

I also have a recent cross in there that shows you some of the other things that sign people use other than wood... saves some of the big trees.

peace, rales
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Hey Rick, I just had a peek at your pictures, truly beautiful work! Great designs and elegant work. Celtic knot work are so beautiful and yet so simple. Your work inspires one to do more. Well done. Love the cross.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Dave Brock

Thumbs up Re: Howdy!

Welcome and thanks for sharing your work! I've never found an Irish pub that I didn't feel more than welcome! Really beautiful work.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss