Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Letting the chips fly

Default Hi All, newbie from Virginia

Hi everyone,
Been long time WCI subscriber but only now found the messageboard.

I'm 47 and a member of James River Woodcarvers in Richmond Virginia. My first class was with Tom Wolfe in Townsend Tennessee but I've been carving since 1993.

I had surgery for a non cancerous tumor on my spinal cord in my neck. Surgery was successful, but the tumor had left my right side weak as nerves had been affect and paralyzed. One of my doctors suggested that I take up a hobby like woodcarving. Squeezing a rubber ball to build strength back up in my hand would not be as effective as taking a knife, gripping it and then using the wrist, hand, arm in natural motions to build up my arm/hand strength. It worked and I fell in love with it.

I've taken classes with Tom Wolfe, Helen Gibson, Gary Falin and enjoy carving wizards, santas, cowboys. I've got my 16 yr old nephew into carving where he dabbles in spoons and the classic ball-in-a-cage.

My dad is 79 and arthritis is starting to slow him down and he just recently started using a cane at times. He's still working on the farm and for my next project, I'm thinking of carving a cane or staff for him to use when he needs it. Any ideas on what woods would be best for this?

This is a great board and I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone and maybe contribute some myself. [img]images/smilies/004%5B1%5D1.gif[/img] carving to all!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Hi All, newbie from Virginia

hello lenny and welcome to the board you have come to the right place for ideads and just good freindship alot of good folks here. i to enjoy carving caricatures and santas also if you have any questions just post them here and we will try and help. well keep'em sharp

bart
Old 07-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to wade clark

Lennie,
Welcome, and H A P P Y Independence Day!
It sounds like you've trained under some Greats! Let us see some pictures when you can, we'd love to see your work.
Do a search on this Forum under canes, toppers or staffs and you'll find a lot!
Have a great day!
Wade

Last edited by wade clark; 07-04-2005 at 09:59 AM. Reason: that face with the cigar
Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 AM

Talking Re: Hi All, newbie from Virginia

Hello Lenny and Welcome!
This is the best place on the web for carvers, loads of talent here and great people. I look forward to seeing some of your carvings posted on the board and in the gallery. I also am very jealous of the people you have been able to learn from in your carving journey, they are the very ones that I would like to learn from! Have fun and carve a bunch!

GaryMc [img]images/icons/icon10.gif[/img]
My Email: 3crosseswoodcarving@gmail.com
My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel
Old 07-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Welcome aboard Lenny, good to see another carver carving for therapy. It's the best therapy you'll ever find. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a cane for your Dad, we all seem to have a "thing" for canes here! Enjoy yourself here, lots of great folks to chat with, or learn from, or teach to.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 07-04-2005, 02:23 PM

Hi and welcome...I have made canes and sticks out of just about anything I could get my hands on..some swapped from back in your area such as hickory, sassafras etc, have made them from saquaro , ocotillo, yucca, palo verde, mesquite, sage. aspen, basswood, navajo willow..get the point! just make it strong lol

« Hi All | Happy 4Th »