Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 11:41 AM
senior WCI reader

Default carving contest?

I have been teaching two of my 16 grandkids how to carve.and having a ball. my 9 year old (grandkid) finished a donkey thats in "Carving Crazy Critters by Gary Batte" he did a very very good job looks exactly like the carving in the book. Man he ( grandkid) was smiling from ear to ear at the way it turned out. every one (that seen it) told him that he needed to enter it in the fair. So we did. what a laugh. when we took it to the fair , the so called "Judge" looked at it and said that it needed to be sanded more to get out the knife cut marks, that it should complety smooth in order to win a carving contest. where do these fairs get these judges. wonder if anyone asked them (Judges) what they know about carving before the call them judges.

just a little hot under the collar

Just old Jim

to see some of my carvings...click the link below:

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...ry.php?cat=541

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: carving contest?

Unbelievable! Maybe you should polish the hind end and enter it as a carving of that judge. [Apologies to all of the good judges]
Jim
Old 06-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Ouch! Too bad. I suppose this demonstrates that judging at these types of contests (and more) really too often comes down to a matter of taste. I would hate to be a judge where there are different types of carvings to be considered for a top prize - such as comparing a bird to a caricature.

It better illustrates that some people have NO right to be judging.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:23 PM

should have asked the judge where the scandinavian flat plane carving falls in his expertize? I have heard judges say just the opposite that a carving is too smooth and they want to see knife marks!Head Bange Sad Talking
Old 06-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

obviously the judge had no grandchildren and neither should he. It is terrible when someone so young gets a comment like that. Good job he didnt say it to my grandson he might have recieved an ear full. I think that is just one of the worst things I have ever heard. We are supposed to as adults encourage children to do well. Also I dont know what kind of judge he was but for me I like to see the chlsel and knife marks. In fact I never sand my carvings people always tell me that what they like about them is the chisel marks. I hope that this does not discourage him from carving again. I have an idea why dont you post a picture of his carving on this message board and let us be the judge of how his carving turned out. Then show him all of our posts I am sure he will go away with a much better assessment of his carving.
ColinAngry
Old 06-05-2005, 04:37 PM

the judge was probably upset because you grand son did a better job of carving the mule than the judge would have if he had carved one. i agree he shouldnt have said anything negative to a young carver, i mean how is this hobby gonna continue to grow if we as veterans dont encourage the youth. the thing here is let him enter it in another and get another perspective. you just have to consider the source of info and move on and continue to encourage him or her.

my 2 cents worth

BART
Old 06-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Maybe the judge should be the recipient of an award.....the biggest "horses ***" award! Young carvers should be encouraged....not discouraged! Bloody shame. Please, do post some pics of his work.....you know the encouragement he will get here will be constructive, and more encouraging than that "judge's".

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 06-05-2005, 06:28 PM

Jim, that is just terrible! At this point the judge, if he had anything at all negative to say, should have balanced it by pointing out more positive things about his work and encouraging him. What he expressed was his personal preference, which doesn't belong in his judging what so ever!

Please tell your Grandson from me, don't take one persons opinion to heart, that's all it was, keep on carving, he's developing his own style and from what you've said, doing this well at nine years old....he's going to be a 1st Place Blue Ribbon winner in no time, to me, sounds like he already is! Callynne

Last edited by Callynne; 06-06-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:49 PM
WhittleBear Carver

Thumbs up Re: carving contest?

I agree with Calynne. So...

...And to the young man who has demonstrated with hard work, patience, and pride, he can achieve fine results such as the mule which he carved from wood with his talented hands...

a First Place Blue Ribbon!

Bravo! Fine Job!

Bob

Last edited by Just Carving; 09-04-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM

He is only 9 years old! thats probably the reason, this dummy judge didn't want his buddies shown up by a 9 year old!

« Hi | Perfection »