Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Members and Magazines > Welcome Members
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Welcome Members

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 AM
kookiemomster48

Question Beginner wants to make twig flowers

I missed out last year on a chance to learn how to make the little twig flowers at the Midwest City Senior Center (OK). I was busy selling my house and moving to a more rural area.
Now I'm experimenting with carving (my profile pic is about my fifth try at anything-is a mix of knife and dremel work with woodburning). I'm making a lot of walking sticks, some with minimal carving. I have an order for a stick with a Jack Russel Terrier on the top. I think I can do it fine but will take any advice I can get on that too! The material is Oklahoma Cedar and its about 2 1/2 inches in diameter at the top where I want to put the dog. I've only attempted a full shape carving once (eagle head) and it was already in the shape of the wood bit I used.
But we do have a show on the 19th, 20th and 21st and I want to give out the little flowers to the kids.
does anyone know where I can get some instructions for them?
I've kinda accidentally almost made them when fooling around with other things so I'm pretty sure I can pick it up quickly.
Help?????
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Beginner wants to make twig flowers

There is a book available on twig carving....believe it has a twig rooster on the cover.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

Regarding books on the subject - Chris Lubkemann has written 'The Little Book of Whittling' and 'Whittling Twigs and Branches', which both include flowers.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM
kookiemomster48

Thanks! I saw that book listed. Sure wish I could get it. Casey
Old 10-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Here are some rough instructions - To make a flower you strip a twig, then make a series of petals at the top by carving thin slivers all round, finishing on the same line around. Then make a second row of petals inside the first.

Then thin the stem a little before slicing two slivers for the leaves.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 AM
kookiemomster48

Awesome. I actually think I can do it from those instructions. I just went to Amazon and they had a copy of the Leubman paperback for about $3.
I used my itty bitty Paypal balance and ordered it! With what I prefer doing I believe that will be one of my favorite books.
I'm also growing gourds so I'll be carving them too. I'm looking forward to an exciting winter especially since I've found help and education here.
Hope to get the mag as a Christmas gift! LOL Hubby has been informed.
He is a big help too. He's carved stone a great deal. Was getting thousands for some of his jewelry boxes 30 odd years ago. Ran out of the good rock though.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 AM
kookiemomster48

Uh, OH! I forgot something. Should I use green twigs?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Hi, it depends on the type of wood - green is usually OK (all of the twigs I've carved have been green or fresh, but then again I never managed to get the curls very curly!). Very dry won't be easy.

Experiment a little with twigs from different trees, strip the bark off some and leave the twig to dry out before slicing the petals. I found that willow and cherry was very good, sycamore and ash OK, hawthorn and Holm oak tough but worth the effort, ivy poor.

It is good fun to go looking for shapes in branches, and trying out different woods.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM

I should have said - you only need to dry the twigs for 30 minutes or an hour to notice a difference.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Carving Addict

Choke Cherry curls very nicely (while green). I have carved the roosters from it and the tails are great.