Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Carving Wood & Materials
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Carving Wood & Materials

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Question Pencils-consistent carving quality?

Does anyone know of a pencil that is a good carving candate?
Around here the pickings are slim--mostly Dixon Ticonderoga and they are OK but looking for something a little more consistent and muti-colored.
The Ticonderoga black or yellow "Worlds Best Pencil" carve OK- once in a while one is tough to carve but only found in black or yellow.
The Dixon #2 pencils are fairly good to carve with some very tough to do anything with but they come in 4 colors.
I really would like to find a pencil that comes in different colors and is of consistent wood quality for carving.
Yep I know I am asking for a lot but worth a try. :<)
I did try the search and had no luck.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pencils.jpg (50.2 KB, 119 views)

The good Ol' days the days I felt I could master the pace was slower and I was so much faster!!

Last edited by ka0fan; 11-08-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Add PIX
Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Pencils-consistent carving quality?

I like your carvings. I'd call your designs more wood spirits or wizards than Santa Claus designs which I have been doing.

Here in Northern Virginia there is a kids store, Lake Shore Learning Center, where I have been able to buy oversize pencils by the dozen. They are painted red with eraser and gold letter. I've had good look carving in a Santa Claus face into about 15 to 18 dozen of these over the last three years - 7 dozen this year for Christmas gifts in the stocking stuffer category. I burn in the eyebrows, eyes and beard so I might have avoid some problems with the wood. I did encounter some minor grain reversing but only ruined one pencil out of this year's 7 dozen and that could be laid to operator error as much as wood issues.

I you attempt to buy via internet, specific round models as they sell one that is a triagle shape with the points rounded vice sharp (in these I don't like the finished shape as well.

Note: The pencils I bought this year had some damage to the paint job as the base of the metal part the wholes the eraser - no big problem, perhaps a misaligned machine, but, a deredation to past years quality.

"my hope is to live until I'm caught up"
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Thanks, they are just a simple wood spirit face. It takes about 10-15 minutes to carve one
depending on the pencil and my ambition.
For the larger pencils I have been using "My First Ticonderoga" that I can find at the local Wal Mart. They are very consistent with some grain reversal in the halves but still very carvable.
I would like to find a standard size #2 pencil that is good to carve and available in multiple colors.
The trouble I have is often the lead is not centered and that forces the carving on the seam and then the difference in wood can get very tricky.
I don't mind getting a few bad pencils now and then but hesitate to order a gross of pencils and have a large percent be a problem or non carvable.
But after all is said they are fun to carve and the real reward is giving them away.

The good Ol' days the days I felt I could master the pace was slower and I was so much faster!!

Last edited by ka0fan; 12-29-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: can't spell nor type :<)
Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Hi!
Have you tried Oriental Trading Co.? They have a lot of pencils that come in a colors. They are listed as "personalized" but I don't think you have to have them personalized. They also sell packs in different colors than are usually seen...even tie-dyed.
GOOD LUCK!
Jim

Last edited by jimp; 11-09-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply jimp.
The pencils from Oriental Trading that I have tried were made of a hard stringy wood and do not carve very well. The wood type combined with the heavy plastic like coating is a bad combination for carving. The coating really bonds to the wood so they splinter more than carve.

Last edited by ka0fan; 12-29-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling/typing
Old 11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Miniature Carver

I just use normal cheap pencils, only ever had one that couldn't be used the wood was too soft and the lead had shattered into lots of little pieces.

"The Man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything at all"
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM

Hi fly-fisher, Thanks for the reply.
I am using the cheap type also but was hoping for something better. The usual things I run into are the differences in the wood of the 2 halves and the lead being way off center. That said I found one the other day that had no lead in it at all. You never know what you will find.
Thanks

Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM

I like your pencils! I have gotten somewhat fatter pencils from Amazon.com Just search for Husky pencils. I think they only come in red but that's a great color for doing Santas. I think a dozen costs like 2 or 3 bucks.

My etsy shop:
RWK Woodcarving
https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My email:
rwkoz51@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I use and love Palomino pencils for writing, but I don't know how they will carve.

Nice pencil carvings! When I carve pencils, I use the cheap fat ones.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks Bob K and Nomad :<)
The pencils in the photo are standard #2 pencils (approx 7mm) and I do carve some of the larger pencils. They are the "My First Ticonderoga"(approx 10mm) and they are pretty good to carve and seem consistent.
I like to carve pencils to hand out at any activity where the club has a table . With good carving ones I can do one every 10-12 minutes. The not so good ones take longer so I am always looking to speed the process.
It is such a great feeling to see how happy something this simple can make people.
Nomad where do you get palomino pencils? I get the Ticonderoga/Dixon ones at Wal Mart (or Office Depot).
Thanks