Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board

Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/)
-   Carving Wood & Materials (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f54/)
-   -   Debarking Diamond Willow (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f54/debarking-diamond-willow-9128/)

circuitrider41 07-08-2006 06:12 PM

Debarking Diamond Willow

Anyone know how to debark diamond willow that does not involve pealing with a knife?

Also would like to know when is the best time to cut? How long needed to dry? Dry with or without bark? I live in Minnesota
Thanks, circuitrider41@yahoo.com

DiamondWillow 07-08-2006 07:15 PM

Re: Debarking Diamond Willow

Several different routes that people have played with. Use a Dremel or Foredom with bits to strip off the bark, another option is a pressure washer, make sure you don't cut grooves into the stick. Another weird one and I have not tried this is a HEAVY DUTY potato peeler, I am told this will peel the bark off. Not kidding, someone said it works pretty good. Don't know!!
If the wood is green the bark will strip off pretty well and easy, but I usually just use a knife or drawknife. I also live in Minnesota, West Central part.
Good Luck with your project
Gene

Thomp 07-08-2006 07:27 PM

i heard the potato peeler trick for cypress knees as well but it makes a mess, generaly we boil cypress knees to remove bark,
although it would be a little harder to boil a walking stick maybe you could steam it off in like a wood steamer made out of pvc that they use to steam wood to bend it.
it may be benificial after the bark was peeled to straighten out crooks / or make them crooked.... sticks.....as well

my 2 cents

Mryooper 07-08-2006 08:49 PM

I have to agree with Diamond willow, green peels pretty damned slick..I found that even in the winter it will peel pretty good. I use just a old pocket knife myself and once the bark starts it pretty much peels right off. NOWW!!! if you got one like I did the otherday! a stick of dynamite wouldn't probable take the bark . It had been cut and thrown along a trail and had dried that way with the bark on. I also have one now that the bark peeled right off and with in a hour it turned purple??? Try to find the stick with all the leaves!! so far it has been effective in making a choice of what will peel and not peeel easy. That tater peeler thing sound funny , but what works for one may not for another!.

Mryooper 07-08-2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circuitrider41
Anyone know how to debark diamond willow that does not involve pealing with a knife?

Also would like to know when is the best time to cut? How long needed to dry? Dry with or without bark? I live in Minnesota
Thanks, circuitrider41@yahoo.com

I suggest with out bark if you go to dry it...takes about 6 weeks or so in my garage

Tidewalker 07-08-2006 09:08 PM

I totally agree that it peels almost effortlessly when the leaves come out in the spring, sometimes I don't even need a knife. I have had a few turn purple after I peeled them, not sure why. Another hint is that if you get them near water , almost always under the water a bit or under ground, the stick turns so that it almost alway grows into a natural handle. At least that is what I have been running into here. There is a site where he sells attachments for an electric motor to peel the sticks , here is the URL : http://www.pixelpuddle.com/sanders/
this is also a great all around site all about Diamond Willow.

Hope this helps.

Hi_Ho_Sliver 07-08-2006 10:00 PM

I made up one of those sanders and it works great for finishing but wouldn't be any good for peeling....that just takes some muscle no matter what! I use a drawknife and a bench knife and when I get to the diamonds, I do the majority of them with a gouge...Bouncing S

Mryooper 07-08-2006 10:50 PM

I will have to post the one I found the otherday. it twisted around the dead center . I carved out the rot and it turned out pretty cool.
Bouncing S

circuitrider41 07-09-2006 09:42 AM

Thank you all for your information. It is very helpful and much appreciated !
Circuitrider41

fankeesyan27 12-07-2009 09:19 PM

My grandfather, father, and I use the KISS method. Fire. Selectively used, will debark, defuzz, and pretty much do all the work for you. The key is to know when to stop burning. Time and practice is the key here.....Hope this tip from ND the Diamond Willow Hard Stuff State helps some of you out there with your fascination and dedication to this beautiful diseased wood.

Willow Wizard