Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Carving Wood & Materials
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
Carving Wood & Materials

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2004, 09:13 PM

Default carving live trees

I'm curious can you carve a live tree? If i didn't girdle the trunk all the way around. I'm thinking of carving faces in two oaks that flank my driveway. each is about 24 inches in diameter, my better half wants me to cut them down. I want to keep them, soooo, if i can carve in them maybe she'll want to keep them also.
any advise on this would be useful
thanks macktruck
Old 07-10-2004, 09:15 PM
randy48

Default Re: carving live trees

No problem carving them, the trees are mature enough it won't hurt them.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

I carved a heart and initials in my Father in Law's apple tree years ago, but the tree grew right over it, the bark healed the scar almost completely. Nothing left but the memory, and the Wife.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 07-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Colin_partridge

I carve into live trees quite a lot. Things to remember if carving a live tree first it must be a relief carving so make sure you dont go too deep and not to carve all the way around the tree to interupt the sap flow. Also make sure that it is a mature tree because if not the bark will grow back over the carving. Lastly make sure you seal the carving so no insects get in. A tree is no different from you and I it is a living thing and it will heal as long as it isnt damaged too much. It is just like you cutting yourself you put on a dressing and in no time you have healed up with just the scar to show for it.
Hoped this has helped
Colin
Old 07-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Moment

I guess Me being in Scouts for so long, I don't carve in live trees and taught/teach Scouters the same thing. Enough fallen stuff to not carve in something live. However, my logic is in no way downing those who do. No offense intended.
I enjoy Colin's wood spirits but would not carve in a live tree or on live limbs.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 PM

Colin, you said seal the carving on a live tree carving. What do you use to seal it? polyurethane? laquer?
Kenny my wife wants them cut down so in reality I'm trying to save them from the saw( and save myself some work also Ha ha)
thanks for the advice
macktruck
Old 07-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Moment

Mack, I have no problem cutting those trees that need cutting but just can't carve in to a live one. Like I said, I enjoy the pictures Colin post and like his work and I guess, If I was commission to do one I might. Haven't ran accross that yet. But hey, Carveing wood spirits in them instead of cutting them down sound the better of the two.
Hey carve a female woodspirit in one and a male in the other.

Best wishes in your carveing.

Regards.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 07-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Colin_partridge

There are many ways to seal the tree you can use a polyurethan or fact similar I use a stain and then Thompsons wood sealer if you use a polyeurthane I would suggest a matt finish rather than a glossy finish.
It doesnt kill the tree and I only carve into tree's when I am commissioned to do so. I also agree there is enough wood laying around to carve.
Colin