Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Carving Wood & Materials
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Carving Wood & Materials

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 AM

Default Burl? Help

Questions? I was sanding up this piece...noticed an odd design on it; as it has iridescent radiation of contrasting colors. Wood was given to me about 15 years ago... kids say longer. And ever once in a while I would drag it out and chip away. This is kaiwe.(prosopis pallida)..and I think I discovered that perhaps it is a burl was why it broke two of my old chisels...good ones!!! and ate my very best knife. Do not laugh...I am still new...at this.... I was complain how hard this was...but now I can hide my head in the sand. Can any one tell me by looking at these two pictures if its a burl?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104-0431_IMG.jpg (28.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 104-0438_IMG.JPG (37.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Burl? Help

Looks like it may be teak
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Howard Lobb Send a message via Skype™ to Howard Lobb

I cant make out the first photo but the second seems to show burl caractures and it seems to show a crotch and another branch. Crotches of trees can have some very unusual grain patterns irridecent pattern and wavey ripples these are wood grown under tension, from wind, wieght etc. You mentioned that this is Kaiwe, and that it is bone dry. If I where working this piece I would revert to power tools to block out my design. Then very sharp hand tools gouges even knives taking small cuts. If you have any tools left.. kidding, (you mentioned the brakeage)I would go slowly at this, shaving thin slices across the grain untill I got close to where I wanted to be, Your tools have to be very sharp. If you look at the edge of your cutting implament and light reflects off the edge or you can see the edge it is not sharp. It does look like an interesting piece of wood and a challenge for even the most experienced.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Thank you Howard... you are right about it being a crotch of a tree and double thanks for this information.... The reason I am asking about burl?? is I am ready to finish this piece and would like to be somewhat educated about this wood. Your right about the power tools...my new foredom TX took to the wood very nice with some power blasting burrs...smile.... Yea she ate my best knife... and you know something weird I never did find the spot that ate part of blade...so that is a what-ever.... it is new knife time. This is Kaiwe, looking at the size of it, I would say it was pretty old tree although I know the location had zero wind. Right now I am working woods that I know zero about and it is really hard to find people that has worked this kind of wood...you know the crazy ones that rather carve then use it for barbecue, I did some research on burls, it may have a light one here and there. But I wanted to see what folks had to say on here and you really helped. Thanks a ton Di
Old 09-09-2009, 02:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Howard Lobb Send a message via Skype™ to Howard Lobb

Thank you And your welcome, I love to get out and find the narliest old hunk of tough wood to carve it usualy has the most awsome figure and colour. Good luck with the project and please give us some shots of it when your done.

« newbie | base wood »