Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board

Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/)
-   Carving Wood & Materials (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f54/)
-   -   Arizona carving wood? (http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/f54/arizona-carving-wood-9719/)

Mike-in-WV 09-07-2006 07:08 AM

Arizona carving wood?

Anyone know of some good carving wood in Arizona? My older brother just moved to central Arizona from the eastern US and he knows nothing about the available carving woods in the desert south west.
His main interest is canes and walking staffs. Thanks for any info you may have, Mike

Hi_Ho_Sliver 09-07-2006 09:57 AM

Re: Arizona carving wood?

You can get some pine, the best is probably navajo/globe willow, but best when carved green I think....need to put parafin wax on the ends of about any stick while its drying,(except yucca stalks, they dry on the plant) they will all crack because of the dryness.....lots and lots of beautiful wood and strong for the shafts, but harder than nails to carve, can be power carved. I just put a different wood on for a handle normally. I have done a bit of inlay on palo verde and mesquite.....if you have any questions, p.m. me. Also be careful where you get your wood in Arizona, the BLM will nail you for picking up anything! and the state people don't know you can pick up dead stuff. I have a letter to that effect from the dept of agriculture, but sure wouldn't pick it up without that letter! big fines! I get a lot of yucca stalks but I get them right here in town, from the plants that grow in front of a local business, he wants them out so they are not a threat to his customers if they should fall over , and I want them for sticks...Cowboy

Mike-in-WV 09-07-2006 11:29 AM

Thanks Hi-Ho. I sent your information to my brother. Take care, Mike

whitecree 09-07-2006 12:36 PM

I'm glad I live where you won't get hassled for picking up blowdowns and dead wood.
Sounds like I would hate it in Arizona...

Canopener 09-07-2006 02:38 PM

Mike,
If he comes up north of the Mogollon Rim, he can find aspen and oak. There is also lots ponderosa pine, but that would not be good for sticks. If you get down the back roads right along the rim, there would be some more exotic wood to go along with the view.
His best bet would be to check the rules with Coconino National Forest or Kaibab N.F. He should be able to find a web site at coconinoforest.us, same for kaibabforest.us. Most of AZ. back country comes under the control of some government agency, so like Dave says, you alwys want to cover your butt.
The main thing is quantity and that you generally can't cut green standing.
If it is a decent Winter, I should have some good aspen saplings next Spring. If he gets to Flag, PM me.
Good Luck
Jim

Mike-in-WV 09-07-2006 03:12 PM

Thanks Jim, I will pass your info to him. Mike

Mottles 09-09-2006 05:02 PM

Hi Mike, if your brother ever gets tired of carving canes and walking staffs he can try some cottonwood. I live in Prescott Valley, Arizona and I carve with cottonwood limb and root. It can be found laying on the ground along creeks. I've never been hassled for removing it--yet anyway.
Kathy